Learn to lead the next generation with a combination of hands-on teaching experiences and in-class study from experts in their field.
Our MAE graduates are issued teaching certificates by the Missouri State Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Want to work outside Missouri? Complete the MAE, then work with our certification officer to begin the process of certification in another state.
- Experienced educators are your mentors
- Graduate in as little as one year
- 95% six-month employment rate
MAE Specialty Area Requirements
Interested in teaching art?
Truman also offers two pathways to Art Certification.
Teaching Certification Programs
Elementary Education Certification
- 1st grade through 6th grade
Secondary Education Certification
- Social Studies/History
- Speech and Theatre
- Physical Education
- Special Education
Working with your specialty area advisor, you design an academic experience that fits your aspirations. Before applying for admission to our MAE program, you will need to complete an undergraduate degree at Truman or another institution (or you can also transfer to Truman).
Take your first step by telling us where you are now:
• I’m a high school student and want to begin my college education at Truman >
• I’m a Truman undergraduate >
• I want to transfer from another university >
• I have an Associate of Arts >
• I have an undergraduate degree and want to apply to the MAE program >
Enrolled students taking at least six credit hours per semester are eligible for federal financial aid programs. The federal TEACH Grant can help you pay for college if you plan to become a teacher in a high-need field in a low-income area.