Master of Arts in Education
MAE: Specialty Area Requirements for Speech and Theatre
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Communication and/or Theatre disciplines.
- Minimum of an overall GPA of 2.75 in all coursework.
- Require a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major.
- Require that at least one of the three letters of reference in the application be from a professor in the student’s major who can speak to the candidate’s ability to succeed in graduate-level Communication or Theatre courses. Other letters should reflect specifically on either the candidate’s academic strengths or the candidate’s potential to provide a positive influence on young people in a classroom setting.
- Evidence (as displayed in the personal statement, letters of reference, and the candidate’s experiences) of the ability to work effectively with high school students.
- Candidates must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition for teaching.
Students wishing to be qualified to teach dual credit Public Speaking or Introduction to Theatre Arts with a community college or university in addition to their certification should complete a total of 18 graduate hours in the relevant discipline (COMM for Public Speaking, THEA for Introduction to Theatre Arts).
Speech and Theatre Faculty
GPA Sheet – Speech and Theatre
Please see your Education advisor each semester to ensure smooth processing through the program.
Students being certified to teach in Missouri must have a 2.75 or higher GPA overall, a 3.0 GPA or higher in their content area, and a 3.0 GPA or higher in professional classes (mostly education classes). This GPA sheet was crafted to help students keep track of these three GPA calculations, as well as to aid with advisement and enrollment. If students have any questions about their GPA, they should meet with their specialty area advisor.Speech & Theatre: Download GPA Sheet (Excel file)