Admission to Master of Arts in Education Program
Students are admitted into the Master of Arts in Education (MAE) program on the basis of scholastically competitive criteria. Requirements for admission to graduate study are listed in the Graduate Studies section of the catalog. Note that there are core requirements AND specialty area requirements.
Elementary and Special Education have a direct admission policy for Truman State University undergraduates who meet four (4) gateways.
Admission to the Secondary (Math, Science, History/Social Science, Speech and Theatre, English) and K-12 (Music, French, Latin, Spanish, Physical Education) MAE programs is a multi-step process:
- Recommendation of the faculty and Department Chair(s)
- Recommendation from the Dean of School of Health Sciences and Education
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis with September 1, October 1, November 1, February 1, March 1, and April 1 application deadlines.
Secondary and K-12 Core requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree with at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA;
- Three letters of recommendation;
- Application forms submitted online (click on “Degree-Seeking Graduate Students”);
- Personal statement;
- Resume; and
- Reflective portfolio (English specialty area only)
Specialty area requirements:
Admission requirements for the MAE program will vary depending on your selected specialty area.
MAE admission pathways for:
- High school student
- Truman undergraduate
- Undergraduate transfer
- Student with AA degree
- Student with undergraduate degree from another institution