Master of Arts in Education: Specialty Area Requirements for Elementary Education
The Elementary Education Program welcomes students with at least a 2.75 cumulative undergraduate GPA from any Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) non-teaching degree program. Based upon national trends in elementary education, the faculty recommends BS or BA degrees in content areas (math, science, history, English, foreign language); however, all BS or BA non-teaching degrees are eligible.
The Elementary Education Program has a direct admission policy for Truman undergraduates who meet the following gateways:
- Have an academic plan on file
- Complete ED 393 Clinical Experiences in Teaching with a grade of B or higher and ED 394 Experience in Classroom Teaching with a P.
- Have an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 prior to taking ED608.
- Complete an online form via TruView.
Interviews for any applicant may take place at the discretion of the elementary faculty in order to provide clarification on any of the required qualifications. Furthermore, students who did not earn undergraduate degrees at Truman will have the additional criteria of:
- Faculty review of transcripts to ensure compliance with the proposed gateways in conjunction with the Education Certification Analyst/Advisor and the Office of the Registrar
- Interview with the faculty prior to enrollment in ED 608 to ascertain if you are ready for the rigors of the program and that you have both the desire and the foundational knowledge to be successful elementary teachers.
Elementary Education Faculty:
GPA Sheet—Elementary Education
Current as of 1 July 2018
Please see your Education advisor each semester to ensure smooth processing through the program.
Students being certified to teach in Missouri must have a 2.75 or higher GPA overall, a 3.0 GPA or higher in their content area, and a 3.0 GPA or higher in professional classes (mostly education classes). This GPA sheet was crafted to help students keep track of these three GPA calculations, as well as to aid with advisement and enrollment. If students have any questions about their GPA, they should meet with their specialty area advisor.Download GPA Sheet