Loan Cancellation

The 1998 Amendments of Higher Education changed eligibility requirements for loan cancellation effective October 7, 1998. Loan cancellations previously eligible only for loans awarded after July 1992 are now available to all Perkins borrowers. You may be eligible if you are working full time in the following fields: nursing, medical technician fields, teachers of mathematics, science, foreign language, bilingual education and special education, and as a law enforcement officer (enforcing criminal law).

Some restrictions may apply. Check your promissory note or contact the Student Accounts Section of the Business Office for eligibility information and appropriate forms.

Cancellation is also available for the following situations:

  • Teaching or other related services of an educational nature in:
    • a federally designated low income school
    • special education including teachers of infants, toddlers, children or youth with disabilities
    • a federal Head Start Program or staff member in a pre-kindergarten or child care program licensed or regulated by the state
    • a shortage field as determined by the state education agency
  • Military Service: full-time active duty in an area designated for hazardous duty pay
  • Peace Corps or ACTION Program volunteer (applies only to new Perkins Loan borrowers after July 23, 1992)
  • Early Intervention – a provider of early intervention services in a public or nonprofit program under public supervision.
  • Child/Family Service – a provider or supervisor in a child or family service agency providing services to high-risk children from low-income communities
  • Law enforcement or correction officer
  • Nurse or medical technician
  • Attorneys employed full-time in a Defender Organization
  • Firefighters – employed full-time
  • Tribal College or University faculty
  • Librarian – full-time with a master’s degree in library science, employed by a Title I School or services a Title I School
  • Speech-Language Pathologist – full-time with a master’s degree working exclusively with Title I Schools.

If you are working in a position which you believe will qualify for cancellation benefits, a form requesting postponement/deferment of repayment must be filed at the start of the school or service year. Cancellation forms must be submitted at the completion of the school or service year. Failing to file forms in a timely manner is equivalent to failing to make timely repayment and can result in late fee assessment and can also negatively affect your personal credit rating.