Sociology/Anthropology Major

Explore Exciting Careers

As a sociology/anthropology (SOAN) major at Truman, you’ll collaborate with your professors, participate in group projects, and conduct independent research, as you develop an understanding of human behavior and social situations, at levels ranging from the individual self to variability in cultural patterns within the natural and social environment.

Pursue Your Studies with the Intensity That Makes Your Dreams Come to Life

At Truman, you’re among other smart problem-solvers who like the challenge of big issues. Many of your courses are discussion-based, and small classes ensure you have frequent one-on-one interaction with your professors. You learn how to ask thoughtful questions, gain experience collecting and evaluating data, and develop project management and communication skills.

Tailor your education to fit your professional goals by choosing either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Students seeking a degree in another academic program may also choose to pursue a minor in:

Discover Connections Beyond the Classroom

Truman offers several ways to test your abilities outside of class. Perform research on a topic of interest to you. Gain hands-on experience through an internship, service learning projects, or field schools. Immerse yourself in another culture through study abroad—for example, you can live and work with a rural family on an island in southern Chile, or study in Cape Town, South Africa, one of the world’s most beautiful cities.

Read our Newsletter

Become a Knowledgeable Leader

Some 60 percent of our graduates attend graduate and professional schools, and the other 40 percent enter the workforce directly.  Graduates are well-prepared for a wide variety of careers opportunities:

  • Research in Sociology or Anthropology
  • Non-Profit Administration
  • Contract Archeology
  • Environmental Conservation
  • Global Public Policy
  • Social Work
  • Counseling
  • Human Resources

    Student Spotlight

  • Law
  • Education
  • Medicine
  • Marketing

Explore more careers in anthropology and sociology

News

Guest Speaker for Victimology Class Addresses Human Trafficking IssuesGuest Speaker for Victimology Class Addresses Human Trafficking Issues

October 16, 2018

Emily Russell, Executive Director of the Human Trafficking Task Force with the Missouri Attorney General’s Office, spoke to students in JUST 402: Victimology on Oct. 16. She addressed various ways human trafficking presents in Missouri, effects on victims and current initiatives to address this issue.

A Talent for WritingA Talent for Writing

October 16, 2018

Justice Systems student Savannah Shaon is currently completing a review of “Understanding Violence and Victimization” (Meadows, 2019) with anticipated publication in the International Journal of Criminal Justice Sciences. Dr. Curtis Blakeley says, “Shaon has a talent for writing and has decided to put those talents to good use.” Savannah’s review will be read worldwide and […]

More News

Events

Sigma Alpha Haunted Corn Maze
October 25 • 7:00pm - October 27 12:00am
Saturday Showcase Event
November 3 • 8:45am - 3:30pm

More Events