International Scholarships

International students are eligible for academic scholarships from Truman. In fact, approximately 85% of all new international students receive some financial assistance through a scholarship. These scholarships are even renewable, providing assistance to you for up to four years. Students only need to meet the Scholarship Renewal Guidelines to continue the scholarship. Ready to apply to Truman? Fill out our free online application.

Frequently Asked Questions
You may have questions regarding scholarships as an international student. Below are some questions we receive frequently. Have other questions? Feel free to contact us.

  • If I get a scholarship, will I need to have proof of financial support from my family or sponsor?
    Yes, Truman State University is pleased to offer partial scholarships to international students, but we seldom offer full scholarships that cover tuition and all other fees. You must prove one year of financial support and project financial support for the rest of your education. U.S. law requires that the University has this proof of financial support before we can issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility with which you apply for the student visa. You must also prove financial support to the U.S. Consulate when applying for the student visa.
  • Can I increase my President’s Honorary Scholarship after I arrive?
    No, the President’s Honorary Scholarship is awarded at the time of admission and cannot be increased after your enrollment. However, Truman State University makes other types of scholarships available to students during their studies, such as the Foundation Scholarships. The Truman State University Foundation provides more than 400 Foundation Scholarships. The criterion for eligibility varies for each scholarship. The scholarships are funded by gifts to the University.
  • Can Truman State University help me find a financial sponsor?
    No, Truman State University is a public state university and as such CANNOT solicit sponsors for individual international students.
  • I want to work to pay for my education. Is this allowed?
    No, it is not legally possible for a student to work enough to pay for their education. See the rules of employment for F-1 students below. Also, given the challenging nature of the Truman State University curriculum and the energy required for cultural adjustment, students should not plan to work on campus over 10 hours per week or they will not be able to maintain their grades at the required level.
  • What are the rules of employment for F-1 student visa holders?
    Students who hold an F-1 visa may work on campus from the first day of the semester. Each student is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session or 39 hours per week during breaks and holidays. The student is responsible for obtaining his/her own on-campus job if he/she so wishes. Truman State University does not provide job placement. The holder of an F-1 visa may not work off-campus without permission of the USCIS. The student may apply to the USCIS for off-campus work permission after the completion of one academic year (nine months). The applicant must submit documents proving severe unforeseen ‘financial need.’ Since the application process takes approximately 90 days, students should not plan on working off-campus for at least 12 months from arrival. The application cost is $340.
  • Why would I receive a 1042-S tax form?
    In compliance with the IRS regulations, Truman State University withholds and remits payment for U.S. Federal taxes for scholarships that cover room, board, meal plans, and other personal expenses for international, non-resident students. More detailed information can be found on the 1042-S International Students webpage.