Graduate Programs

Checklist for Admitted Graduate Students

Graduate Students

Congratulations! You have been accepted to a Graduate Program at Truman! Here’s a checklist to help you get started as a graduate student at Truman. Even if you attended Truman as an undergraduate, the graduate-level works differently. This checklist will help you start off in the right direction.

The checklist below is divided into two categories:

  • Before Arrival
  • After Arrival

Before Arrival

  • Receive acceptance notification by email.
  • Receive student username and ID credentials through the mail.
  • Receive a welcome letter from your Success Mentor with instructions of preparing to register in courses (new online graduate students only).
  • Enroll in courses.
  • Contact your faculty advisor, if needed.
  • Confirm that your official transcripts have been received.
  • Complete Health Center forms (if applicable).
  • Familiarize yourself with TruView.
  • Arrange housing (if applicable).
  • Make travel and arrival plans for the start of the academic year (if applicable)

After Arrival

  • Student ID card pickup
  • Attend GTRA orientation, if applicable
  • Pay tuition/fees
  • Obtain parking permit
  • Purchase books/supplies
  • Attend Graduate Student Open House
  • Attend departmental orientation sessions, if applicable
  • Go to first class!

Before Arrival Item Details

Receive acceptance notification by email

If you are admitted to a graduate program, you will receive an email notification letting you know you need to check your application page in the application system. Make sure you read it thoroughly and keep a copy for your records.

Submit necessary paperwork

Some programs have specific additional paperwork you must complete; if your program does, it will be listed below.

The following items need to be completed and sent to the Athletic Training Program Director Brandy Scheinder (address, email and phone number provided below). Please contact Brandy for any questions as well.

Send all information to:
Brandy Schneider
Health Science Building 1222
100 East Normal Ave
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660-785-4407

The following items need to be completed for all CMDS students (Contact Connie Ikerd,, for any questions):

  • Completion of I9 and W-4 forms
    To receive any fellowships, gifts, or reimbursement from Truman, you must have the following on file.  Please do this as soon as you can.  Unless you have previously worked at the University, you must complete an I-9 and W-4 form for the Payroll Section of the Business Office in McClain Hall 105. To complete the required forms, you must have your:

    1. Passport, or
    2. Social Security Card or Birth Certificate and
    3. Driver’s License or Picture I.D.

    The completed I-9 and W-4 must be on file in Payroll before you can begin working.  You can go online to complete this process.  Please see below concerning procedures for completing this process.

    Go to TruView then to Tools > Student > Student Finances and Student Employment. Click on W-4/I-9 Forms.  If you have completed these forms previously, you do not need to do this again. However, for newly hired employees, you MUST fill out BOTH forms, print them out, and take them to McClain Hall 105.  If you have questions, please contact Eric Davis, Assistant Operations Manager:  (660) 785-4151,

  • Documentation of Completed Observation Hours and Clock Hours
    New graduate students, please send copies of documentation verifying completion of clock hours and observation hours. You should send this information to the address below.   Truman students – we already have clock hour/observation hour information for you.Connie Ikerd, Secretary
    Communication Disorders Department
    Health Sciences Building 2252
    100 East Normal Ave
    Kirksville, MO  63501
  • Contact Information
    Connie Ikerd prepares your clinician’s schedule cards for Ms. Passe’s use in scheduling your therapy sessions. Please send the telephone number and email address that we should use to contact you [when you arrive on campus] to Connie Ikerd at
  • Documentation for Criminal Background Check
    Ms. Passe will also need a copy of your Social Security Card for participation in the Criminal Background Check process.  You will need to bring $13.25 for background check.  Please bring cash or a check payable to Ms. Passe to the Beginning Clinician’s Meeting.
  • Beginning Meeting Dates
    • Graduate Student Orientation: The Communication Disorders Department will be hosting a CMDS Graduate Student Orientation. You will receive specific details regarding this via email. It is important that you attend as several topics will be discussed during the orientation activities.
    • Beginning Clinicians Meeting: This is a mandatory meeting for all new/beginning clinicians [undergraduate or graduate] – you must be there.  Please allow at least two hours for this activity – so please plan your evening accordingly.Ms. Passe will be conducting this meeting and will be giving you guidelines/procedures concerning rules/regulations within the Speech and Hearing Clinic, client procedures, etc. Again, details will be shared via email.Please note:  If you are a first-time clinician, you will be required to purchase a clinician’s name badge [$3]. These CMDS name badges are worn by the clinicians during their therapy sessions and taken with them for internship purposes and all off-site clinical obligations. They should be ready for you to purchase during the Beginning Clinician’s meeting.  You will also be required to purchase a Language Sampling Booklet [$7].  Please bring $3 and $7 exact change [as we will not be able to make change for you] to the Beginning Clinician’s Meeting.  Sorry, no checks.

Send official transcripts

Before being a fully admitted graduate student, you must submit an official copy of your transcript showing receipt of your bachelor’s degree. If you graduated from Truman with your undergraduate degree, you do not need to request transcripts to be sent. We will do that on your behalf.

Send transcripts to:

Truman State University
ATTN: Graduate Office
McClain Hall 203
100 E. Normal Ave
Kirksville, MO 63501

Familiarize yourself with Truview

If you have attended Truman previously, you’re already be familiar with TruView, Truman’s campus portal. If not, you should have received your login information (username, Banner ID, and email address) from the University. Contact the Graduate Office at if you need to have this information/instructions resent.

Explore the Tools > Student section in TruView as that is where you will find your Student Billing Account Suite and Registration actions.

Contact your advisor

Included in the text of your acceptance letter, you will find your assigned advisor. Contact your advisor in regards to classes needed and any prerequisite courses that need to be completed. Your advisor will be your main contact for questions now that you are an accepted student.

Complete Health Center Forms

If you did not attend Truman as an undergraduate, you will need to submit your health history and insurance information to Truman’s Student Health Center ASAP. Failure to do so will result in a hold being placed on your account, and you will not be permitted to enroll in courses.

Enroll In Courses

Before enrolling in courses, you will need to accept the Registration Agreement. You can find the Registration Agreement in  TruView. Go to Tools > Student > Registration Tool and click on Registration Agreement.

Your advisor can help give you an idea of which courses you should be taking each semester. Once you know that information, you can enroll in courses after the date posted on the Registrar’s website.

Arrange Housing

Some local rental agencies can be found on the Kirksville Chamber of Commerce website. You can also come visit Kirksville as many places will advertise when apartments/houses are open to renting. If you are interested in living on campus, contact Truman Residence Life.

Make Travel Plans

You don’t want to miss your first day! Make sure you have time to travel to Kirksville and set up your space before classes start. The Truman academic calendar will give you details about when classes start.

For new GTRAs, keep in mind that your contract starts before the academic term, and you are responsible for being on campus for the date listed on your contract.

After Arrival Item Details

Student ID card pickup

If you have not previously been a Truman student, you will need to pick up a student ID. You can get your photo taken and pick up your ID by visiting the ID Office in Missouri Hall 1100 (you can also upload a photo online).

You can receive discounts at a number of places in town with a valid Truman student ID.

Attend GTRA orientation, if applicable

All new GTRAs are required to attend orientation. Details will be shared with you over the summer months (or winter break) via emails from the Graduate Office.

Pay tuition/fees

Tuition and fees can be paid via the Student Billing Account Suite in TruView  (go to Tools > Student > Student Finances & Student Employment Tools and click on Student Account Suite). You can also pay at the Cashier’s Window located in McClain Hall on the first floor (near the Registrar’s Office) between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Obtain parking permit

You can purchase a parking permit each year (please note you will need to register your vehicle in TruView). Once you’re on campus, you can pick up your parking decal from the Department of Public Safety (first floor of General Services Building) during normal business hours.

Purchase books/supplies

The Truman Bookstore is a convenient option for purchasing or renting textbooks or you can use other sources as well. Book information can be found in TruView by navigating to Tools > Student >  Courses & Grades > Course Schedule. Select the correct semester, and click on the View Book Information link at the top of the page.

Attend Graduate Student Open House

Each August, the Graduate Office holds an Open House for all students to come and visit with the Dean of Graduate Studies, meet other graduate students and get to know graduate faculty. New and returning students are all welcome to attend.

Attend departmental orientation sessions, if applicable

As a graduate student, you are an important member of Truman’s community, and more specifically, your department community. Many departments on campus provide opportunities for students to meet each other and get oriented as new grad students to the department office and faculty within your particular program.

Go to first class!

Have questions?

Contact Graduate Admissions