Communication Major & Minor
As a communication major or minor at Truman, you will pursue the complexities that characterize communication in an advanced, technical, and multicultural world — fast-paced and ever-changing. We guide you to meet these challenges in and out of the classroom to be a thoughtful, engaged citizen in many walks of life.
At Truman, your classes emphasize the interconnectedness essential for meeting the challenges of the 21st century. Pursue a broad course of study and choose your focus:
- Communication Studies: Communication is the cornerstone of all successful relationships. Here you'll study the theories and practices of human communication from both rhetorical and social-scientific viewpoints. This will prepare you for a wide variety of careers in management, consulting, research and client/customer service. You'll also be prepared for graduate or professional school, particularly in law, counseling, education, and seminary.
- Journalism: Make a difference in society by learning to analyze, interpret, and critique civic issues by writing and producing content for the new convergent media environment - newspaper, online, magazine, radio, television, and more.
- Public Communication: Learn how public opinion is formed and build practical skills in writing, speaking, and advocacy. Great for careers in public policy development, political consulting, public relations, advertising, integrated and social marketing, non-profit activism, and other areas of social influence.
Theoretical Base, Practical Experiences.
Freely explore the many fields of communication through student media or other communication organizations—without fighting the large numbers of other students you see at larger schools. From writing for a convergent travel magazine to covering a beat for the student newspaper or anchoring newscasts on a weekly TV show; from radio announcing, talk shows, and sports to writing a column for the Truman Media Network (TMN), new experiences await you!
Maybe the university’s nationally competitive Speech and Debate team is your thing. Or join the Ad & PR club or Lambda Pi Eta (our national honorary fraternity). Whatever your interest, there's likely a student organization that offers opportunities to explore communication beyond the classroom in a fun and creative atmosphere.
Our Graduates Succeed
Whether you're planning on grad school or moving straight into the workforce, you'll graduate with a portfolio of real-life experience that gives you the edge over your peers.
Our graduates enter the world beyond Truman in a variety of capacities:
- Public Communication/Public Relations/Public Service
- Social Communication Specialist-Scottrade, St. Louis
- Marketing And Promotions - CBS Radio
- Account Executive – Fleishman-Hillard (PR and marketing)
- Manager of Marketing & PR – Saint Luke's Hospital
- Assistant District Attorney – New York City, NY
- Public Relations Manager – The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis
- Journalism/Media Production/Publishing
- Copy Editor, Real Time News Desk, Wall Street Journal
- Multi-Media Journalist, Xinhua News Agency, China
- Sports Reporter - Jefferson City, Mo., News Tribune
- Production Supervisor - DreamWorks Animation, Los Angeles
- Television Reporter, KCTV-5, Kansas City
- Graduate/Professional Studies
- MA candidate, International Human Rights, University of Denver
- MFA candidate, Interior Architecture + Design, George Washington University
- Juris Doctor candidate, University of Missouri
- PhD candidate, Communication Studies, University of North Carolina
- MSc, Politics & Communication, London School of Economics
20 September 2016 | 3:08 pm
By Truman Forensics Students and Staff Truman State University’s Forensic Union (speech and debate team) started their 2016-2017 competitive season off with a young but mighty crew traveling to the Western Kentucky University Fall Fiesta, September 16-18. The team took 6 competitors to the tournament and proved to be strong contenders, placing third in Overall Team […]
21 April 2016 | 2:27 pm
By Truman Forensics Students and Staff The Truman State Forensic Union (speech and debate team) is once again in the top 5 Lincoln-Douglas debate programs in the nation. The team competed at the 2016 National Forensic Association National Championship Tournament in mid-April and came home with 5thplace in Lincoln-Douglas Debate Sweepstakes. Truman Forensics has been […]