Students Talk About Truman in Their Own Words
- "I chose Truman because of the affordability and its academic reputation. I looked at other schools, both public and private, and discovered that Truman is on par academically with so many universities but for a fraction of the cost. I knew that I wanted a stellar education but didn’t want to graduate with thousands of dollars in debt, so Truman fit that mold perfectly."
English Major, Communication & Film Studies Minors
- "I love how easy it is to get to know people at Truman because of the size. Whenever I go to class or attend an event on campus, I always know at least a handful of people."
Communication Disorders Major
- "Truman week was my favorite thing about freshman year, by far! I met so many incoming freshmen as well as other students during this time. I had a blast with all of the activities that went on and learned so much more about Truman at the same time."
Justice Systems Major, Psychology Minor
- "My favorite aspect of Truman is the sense of community. I love knowing so many people around campus and having so many great opportunities that I might not have at a larger university."
Creative Writing Major, Theatre Minor
- "I love the easiness to get to know your professors and the resources that are available for students. It is easy to see the faculty’s dedication toward the students’ success, and I especially like that we are constantly challenged to be better."
Psychology & Biology Double Major
- "I’ve had a lot of the same people in most of my classes, and it’s nice to have that sense of community within the majors…the size of the student body and the beauty of the campus are what convinced me to come to Truman."
- "The atmosphere at Truman is warm. People here are friendly and are willing to help you whenever you need it. Also, there are plenty of organizations available to help international students make new friends, understand new cultures, and enjoy life in America."
—Anh Duc M.
Mathematics & Economics Double Major
- "Truman has allowed me to pursue my passions in both German and music. The faculty have mentored and collaborated with me through various teaching projects which have greatly prepared me for a career in education."
Music & German Double Major
- "I enjoy how hands-on the classes are and how I’m learning about a variety of different professions in theatre. It helps me explore my options, and as a designer, it can help me understand how other design aspects work."
- "Even in a small department, the personal contact matters. In the fall of my freshman year, I went to a barbecue at a professor’s house, so I met students and professors personally early on. I also joined the Society of Physics Students, where I met older students who gave me good advice about my four-year plan."
Physics Major, Philosophy & Religion Minor
- "I like the small class sizes and how each professor generally teaches a small number of classes. Because of this, all my professors know my name and how I perform in the class. It helps to hold me responsible and gives me extra motivation to do my best."
- "I like how my visual communications classes focus on a variety of projects, all of which have real-world applications to the job I will soon have."
- "My Intro to Literary Theory classes really opened my eyes to what literary criticism is all about and ways of understanding literature I had been missing."
English & Biology Double Major
- "I used to be an English major, but I like my Romance languages major even more. It has gotten me out of my comfort zone and has given me experiences in learning languages that I never thought I would get."
Romance Languages Major
- "Everyone is so friendly and helpful! I know that when I have concerns, the professors will take time to talk with me and find what they can do to help me in my pursuit in music."
- "The care and concern that my professors have for their students is the best part of classes here. They come to class every day truly excited to teach their subject."
Music (Liberal Arts) & English Double Major
- "The diversity of the students at Truman definitely surprised me. We’re in a small town in northeast Missouri, but there are students from all over the world here."
Music Performance (voice)