Master of Arts in English
Truman’s Master of Arts in English program prepares a community of exceptional students, scholars, teachers, and creative writers for a lifetime of engagement with writing and literature. Course work and practica enhance students’ professional and academic skills while broadening and deepening their appreciation of and personal engagement with literature from a variety of genres, forms, cultural contexts, and historical periods. Alumni of the program pursue careers in teaching, academic research, editorial work, creative writing, higher education administration, and business advertising and sales. Specific course information and requirements can be found in the catalog.
- Online application and $40 fee
- Professional statement (uploaded in online application)
- Three letters of recommendation (submit recommender’s information in online application)
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities from which you earned college credit, including high school dual credit (Truman applicants do not need to submit Truman transcripts). Current Truman Students Please Note: You do not need to upload your Truman transcript but please list Truman in the Academic History portion of your application.
- Graduate Administrative Assistantships (GAA) and Graduate Teaching Research Assistant (GTRA) materials (optional—submitted with online application)
Students who apply by Feb. 1 will be given priority consideration for Graduate Administrative Assistantships (GAAs) and Graduate Teaching/Research Assistantships (GTRAs).
Applications for acceptance into the Master of Arts in English program from students not applying for assistantships are due on the following dates:
- For Fall admission: applications are due June 1
- For Spring admission: applications are due September 1
- For Summer admission: applications are due April 1
For questions regarding the Master of Arts in English program, contact:
Dr. Sarah B. Mohler, Director of English Graduate Studies