Federal Aid


Your first step towards determining your eligibility for federal aid funds is to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), online if possible. Watch for details from the processing center (notification will come to your e-mail address, if listed, within 3-5 days; otherwise, the paper FAFSA Submission Summary should come in the mail within 3 weeks).

Federal aid offer letters are sent from the Truman Financial Aid Office beginning in mid-to-late March and go out on a continuing basis as FAFSA results are received. Revised offer letters are sent as needed. Upperclass offer notices are sent electronically to your Truman e-mail address.


There are several federal grants you may be eligible for based on your FAFSA results and other qualifications.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant – You may qualify for this grant if you have exceptional financial need.
  • Federal Pell Grant – Only available to undergraduate students, the amount of aid you receive depends on your financial need, cost of attendance, and more.
  • TEACH Grant – You may qualify for this grant if you plan to become a teacher in a high-need field in a low income area. See our fact sheet detailing the application process for Truman Students.


  • Direct Stafford Loans – All students are eligible for Stafford loans. They may be subsidized (government pays the interest while you are in school) or unsubsidized (you pay the interest, though it can be deferred until after graduation), based on certain eligibility requirements.
  • Nursing Loans – Low interest (5%) loan for nursing students currently enrolled at Truman who meet certain criteria.
  • Plus Loans – Loans your parents can take out to help pay for your education expenses as long as you are a dependent enrolled in an undergraduate program.

Other Programs

  • Work-Study – Part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing you to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.