What is Gender Inclusive Housing and Why is it Important?
Gender inclusive housing allows for students to live together regardless of biological sex. It is intended to provide a welcoming environment and safe space for students of all gender identities and expressions to live and thrive on campus.
Housing assignments are typically made based on biological sex, however we recognize this practice may not meet your needs. For that reason, we offer Gender Inclusive Housing options as well.
This housing option is available to students who feel they would be more comfortable in a gender inclusive apartment or suite. This option is also available to those who feel they could provide a safe and inclusive space for another student regardless of gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, or any other factor.
How do I sign up for Gender Inclusive Housing?
The sign-up process for Gender Inclusive Housing is quick and simple. You can follow these steps to opt into Gender Inclusive Housing:
- Log into your Truview account
- Select “Student” under “Tools”
- Select “ Student Tools”
- Scroll down and click on “Housing Portal” under Housing
- Log into the Housing Portal
- Select “Apply for Housing!”
- Select the correct Term
- Go through the application until you reach a page called “Gender Inclusive Housing”
- If you want to live in Gender Inclusive Housing, you will need to select “Yes, I am interested” to the question at the bottom of the page.
- If you select “Yes, I am interested”, you will be directed to a second page for Gender Inclusive Housing where you can enter in any additional information. This additional information will be helpful if a student submits a late application and will manually be assigned to a room instead of self-selecting a room.
Gender inclusive housing at Truman State University:
- Is an optional housing assignment. Students must expressly state their desire for this housing type or they will not be placed in a gender inclusive suite or apartment.
- Is available to all students who are at least 18 years of age and request a gender inclusive housing assignment.
- Students under 18 years of age may be placed in Gender Inclusive Housing with the written consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- Gender inclusive housing is available in predesignated apartments and in predesignated suite-style residence hall rooms.
- This housing option is not intended for romantic couples. Students of all gender identities and sexual orientations are strongly advised against living with a person with whom they are romantically involved.
- This policy respects and honors the privacy of our students and does not require disclosure of the reason(s) for requesting gender inclusive housing.
- Gender Inclusive Housing spaces will be limited based on availability after the room self-selection process has ended.