As part of Truman State University, Residence Life fosters the development of respect, responsibility, and accountability in our students. Within safe, comfortable, and intellectually engaging living communities, we nurture students to become productive citizens and life-long scholars.
Residence Life helps students cultivate relationships and skills necessary to thrive as individuals, succeed at Truman, and make a distinctive impact on a global society.
Connection – It is important for all students to feel a sense of belonging within their communities and among their peers. Students must be able to interact and engage with a global society. Our residential environments will foster the development and deepening of student connections to their peers, the university at large, and the world around them.
- Interpersonal Interactions: Students will be able to navigate interpersonal interactions to build meaningful relationships with peers, faculty, and staff.
- Systems of Support: Students will be able to identify and engage with peers and university resources to support them throughout their college experience.
- Engagement: Students will be able to interact with a wide array of experiences to assist with their learning.
- Sense of Purpose: Students will be able to create a sense of purpose in their role in the on-campus community.
Wellness – Students living independently must be able to take care of themselves and utilize support resources. Our residential environments connect students with resources to identify, establish, and maintain regular patterns of behavior that promote health and resilience.
- Mental Wellness: Students will be able to utilize strategies and resources to manage their mental wellness and recognize the impact of mental wellness on their community.
- Physical Wellness: Students will be able to develop strategies to promote life-long physical wellness.
- Personal Safety: Students will be able to engage in positive decision-making regarding their personal safety.
Identity – Students must be able to acknowledge the differences between themselves and their neighbors to be successful within their residential communities. Students that actively participate in constructive dialogues develop a richer understanding of their role in a diverse society. Our residential environments will encourage students to develop their sense of self while engaging with new perspectives and promoting communities that support growth.
- Sense of Self: Students will be able to explore the different ways to identify what it means to be who they are.
- Sense of Community: Students will be able to build intentional relationships that contribute to individual and communal growth.
- Sense of Responsibility: Students will be able to recognize and act where they have a responsibility to do so.
Academic Excellence – The transition to college can present challenges for students to meet their academic goals and experiences. Our residential environments are conducive to learning while fostering connections between classroom experiences and one’s daily life.
- Supportive Environments: Students will be able to curate their room, utilize community spaces, and explore campus locations to balance academic study and community development.
- Transitioning Strategies for Success: Students will recognize that previous academic strategies may no longer be effective, identify new strategies, and connect with resources to reach academic goals.
Celebrating Scholarship: Students will appreciate the value of living amongst scholars and engaging with others in their community on academic topics.
Professional Competencies – Students living on campus prepare for further academic study or the working world. Our residential environments help students identify the skills they need to live and succeed on their own while providing information and practical applications to develop those skills.
- Professionalism in College: Students will develop the skills needed to successfully navigate university life and to be an emerging professional in the world beyond.
- Next Steps Preparation: Students will be able to capitalize on their experiences on campus to set up them up for success in post-college endeavors.
Have any questions about Residence Life, Housing, or Dining? Contact us at 660-785-4227 or email@example.com.