Master of Athletic Training Program
MAT Application Checklist & Deadlines
Students who are interested in the Master of Athletic Training (MAT) program are encouraged to obtain information early, so that appropriate plans can be made to meet the prerequisites. This is a cohort-based program, and students will only be admitted to begin the program during the summer semester.
Application Checklist for Master of Athletic Training Program
- Minimum GPA score of 3.0 overall or 3.0 GPA on the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate work
- Earn a grade of a “C” or better for the following undergraduate courses and any associated course labs:
- General Psychology
- Human Physiology with lab
- Human Anatomy with lab
The prerequisite courses will be evaluated on an individual basis. Syllabi may be requested if the course title is unclear.
- Signed observation hours (40) under direct supervision of certified athletic trainer
- First Aid/CPR – must hold current professional rescuer certification upon entry and upload documentation
- Online application and $40 fee
- Upload 3 letters of recommendation (none from immediate family, Truman Department Chair, or Truman Program Director)
- Personal statement/essay question
- No student is permitted to transfer graduate level coursework toward the degree in athletic training in which a grade lower than a “C” was achieved.
- OPTIONAL: Graduate Teaching/Research Assistantship (GTRA) application (available as part of online application)
- Applications for acceptance into the Master of Athletic Training program may be accepted beginning August 1 for rolling admission.
- Deadline to upload application materials is June 1.
- This is a cohort-based program that only begins during the Summer II session in July each year.
- Applications are individually reviewed and admitted on a case-by-case basis.
For questions regarding the Master of Athletic Training program, contact:
Dr. Brandy Schneider, Program Director