Who Can Apply:
Applicants must be full-time junior science and math majors with a GPA of at least a 3.0. Applicants must also be a United States citizen, a permanent resident, or a United States national, as in the case of nominees of American Samoan descent or from the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee’s intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card (formally known as the Alien Registration Card).
Payments from the foundation may supplement, but not duplicate, benefits from another foundation or organization. Overall benefits from all sources combined may not exceed the costs of tuition, fees, books, and room and board expenses for the academic year.
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Barry M. Goldwater, who served the United States for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years of service in the U.S. Senate. The purpose of this scholarship is to financially aid students for two years of undergraduate study who are committed to a career in math or natural sciences.
How to Apply: click here to visit official instructions
To apply, you must contact one of Truman’s Goldwater advisors:
Notice your application will not be complete until all components are complete and received.
1. You must be nominated by your area’s faculty representative. Contact your representative to see if you may be considered for this nomination. Your representative will also be able to give you more information about the nomination process.
2. Once nominated, you may start your application process. You must immediately complete and submit the secondary school transcript request form to the principal of the secondary school from which you graduated as well as any other secondary schools you have attended. If home-schooled, you will need a letter from your instructor listing the subjects taught and level of success in each.
3. You will need three letters of recommendation that will be submitted online. Recommendations need to be obtained from:
– Two faculty members who are able to discuss your potential for a successful career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering. At least one of these must be a faculty member in your field of study.
– Another individual or faculty member who can attest to your potential. If you have been involved in research, one of your recommendations must come from the individual who supervised your work.
Note: The best evaluations are those that come from faculty in your field of study or from individuals who have supervised your work in a research facility. Evaluations from former high school teachers, coaches, or family friends are generally of little value.
Recommenders will be emailed within 24 hours to go online and complete their recommendation. Only the recommender and the Goldwater Faculty Representative will be allowed to view the recommendation. The applicant will be sent a confirmation email that the recommender has been sent an email.
4. You will need to fill out the online application form. Applicants may log in as many times and as often as they choose to complete or alter their application prior to submission.
5. You will also need to complete a two-page essay over a significant issue or problem in your field of study that is of particular interest to you.
If you have any other questions or if we may be of further assistance, please contact the Graduate Office. Good luck with your application process.