Truman State University has an excellent tradition of undergraduate research in biology. All biology faculty members are active scholars who value the partnership of students in research.
You can learn many lessons by doing research in biology—about the science itself, and also about close collaboration with others, time management, and taking personal responsibility to name just a few. And, of course, you will discover how well you like the research process—the joys and sorrows of the act of testing and deepening our understanding of the living world.
The research process is central to a number of careers in biology. If you are contemplating such a career, it is wise to explore the research experience in detail.
Research Opportunities for Biology Students
Biology students can conduct collaborative research with Truman faculty during the summer and may apply for funding through the TruScholars or Grants-In-Aid of Scholarship and Research. Our math biology minor provides students with biological research projects involving more complex mathematics.
External Summer Research Programs
- ATSU Clinician Researcher Development Program
Provides practical experience for careers in biomedical sciences.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions
Offers summer and fall internships.
- Department of Homeland Security Summer Internship Program
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
- DOW AgroSciences
R&D internships are available in several chemistry, biology and computer science related disciplines, including, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, microbiology, plant breeding, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, surface chemistry, engineering (chemical, biological, material, or optical) and informatics (bio and chem). R&D opportunities include both laboratory-based and field station research positions.
- Ecological Society of America/SEEDS Fellowships
Offers ecology internships.
- Janelia Undergraduate Scholars Program
The Janelia Research Campus occupies 700 acres along the Potomac River and supports a diverse community of scientists and staff.
- National Great Rivers Research and Education Center
Offers internships in environmental sciences.
- National Science Foundation
Offers many undergraduate research programs in many subdisciplines of the life and physical sciences.
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) Internship Program
Provides opportunities for qualified undergraduate students to receive hands-on experience in a real-world setting that prepares them to become part of tomorrow’s workforce.
- Saint Louis University Doisy Undergraduate Biochemistry Scholar Summer Research Program
The application is now open.
- Society for Conservation Biology
Offers many summer jobs and internships.
- Stowers Summer Scholars
Provides an invaluable laboratory experience for serious science students who are interested in learning more about graduate school and a future in academic research.
- TAMU Jobs Board
Ecological job-related websites.
- University of Iowa Undergraduate MSTP (Medical Scientist Training Program)
The MSTP selects for talented students who plan to obtain the Ph.D. degree while in medical school.
- University of Missouri-Columbia Summer Research Internships
For more information, contact Dr. Linda Blockus. For Plant Developmental Genetics at MU, contact Dr. Brent Buckner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Diane Janick-Buckner (email@example.com).
- University of Nebraska (Lincoln) Summer Research Program
Students receive first-hand exposure to research and the experience of graduate school. They work closely with faculty mentors and research teams of graduate students and other summer scholars. Students also have opportunities to participate in meaningful social and professional development activities outside of the laboratory.
More Popular Sites for Research Opportunities
- Texas A&M Summer Programs
Summer Undergraduate Research Programs at various medical schools.
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT)
Summer Research opportunities affiliated with IGERT programs.
- American Physiological Society
List of summer research programs supported by APS.