Chemistry Major: Research Programs
value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest)
Chemistry students looking for summer research opportunities have both on-campus and off-campus options. Also check out or Google site that logs opportunities for research, internships and employment that have been sent to our Faculty.
On-campus programs, such as the TruScholars Summer Undergraduate Research Program and Grants-in-Aid of Scholarship and Research (GIASR) are coordinated through Trumans’ Office of Student Research (OSR), see more details on these programs and other aspects of the OSR on the OSR Website.
Office of Student Research TruScholars Stipends (full time 8-week summer session)
- Stipend: $3000
- Application guidelines available at: http://osr.truman.edu
- Application deadline: usually early February
- Research Projects with: any willing chemistry faculty member
Note: You have to write a short proposal and you should coordinate this with a faculty member.
- Approximate # of awards: 15-25 per year
- NSF Chemistry-REU Program
Through the REU, the national science foundation supports research at institutions across the country. Read the “For Students” section at this site to begin to search for a good fit for you.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology-National Science Foundation
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program- Opportunities in any areas of the physical sciences, including chemistry. A chance to spend a summer in DC.
- CIRRUS (Chemistry Internet Resource for Research by Undergraduate Students)Click on the “Summer Programs” link to access their database.
- University of California, Irvine
Scroll to the bottom of the page to do a keyword search on their database.
Specific Recurring Programs
- Summer Industrial Internships for Undergraduates
Exceptional sophomores and juniors majoring in chemistry and chemical engineering are encouraged to apply for a prestigious 10-week internship through the SCI Scholars Program. Over 30 scholars will be chosen for summer 2014. SCI Scholars will receive $6,000-$10,000 for a 10-week internship, a certificate, and an additional $1,000, which can be used for any purpose, such as participation at an ACS meeting. Applications are due December 14, 2013. Interested students with a minimum GPA of 3.5 should visit www.acs.org/sci to apply.
- Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service)
Offers opportunities for US and Canadian undergraduates to spend a summer in Germany through their RISE (Research Internships in Science and Engineering) program. Contact Dr. McCormick for details. Application deadline is typically in late January.
- UROP at RWTH Aachen University (Germany)
Undergraduate students from US and Canadian universities, who are interested in conducting their own research project at RWTH Aachen University next summer, are invited to register. Application deadline is typically in late January.
- ACS Nuclear and Radiochemistry Summer Schools (San Jose State University, San Jose, CA and Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, Long Island, NY)
Learn the fundamentals of nuclear science, radiochemistry, and their applications in related fields. Fellowships include a stipend, all tuition and fees, transportation to and from the Summer School, housing, books, and laboratory supplies. Application deadline is typically in early February.
- US Department of Energy DOE Scholars Internship Program
Benefits to student interns include: Ten-week appointments at DOE offices, laboratories, or facilities with weekly stipends for undergraduates. Round-trip travel from home or institution to the appointment site. Opportunities to apply academic studies to DOE programs in science, engineering, safety, finance, project management, policy, planning, and other professional areas. The deadline for internship application is typically in late January.