Complaint Procedure

Conduct Complaints

Anyone may file a referral of misconduct against students or student organizations.

Complaints asking for action on the misconduct are to be prepared in writing and signed by the complainant.

Non Gender-Based complaints are to be directed to the Director for Citizenship and Community Standards. Gender-Based complaints may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator.  More information regarding the complaint process for Gender-Based Misconduct may be found here.

Any complaint should be submitted as soon as possible after the misconduct takes place or becomes known. In some situations, however, the complainant may delay in filing a complaint. Such delays may make it more difficult to secure evidence and witnesses; however, resolution is still possible in certain instances.