As a flute student at Truman, you’ll receive individual attention in a positive and supportive learning environment. Our members are dedicated to achieving excellence as performers, music educators, and scholars. You’ll take weekly private lessons, performance and pedagogy classes, chamber music instruction and coaching, and ongoing academic and career advising.
You can explore a wide range of performing experiences – including two wind symphonies, concert band, marching band, flute quartet, mixed chamber ensembles, and the annual Gold Medal Concerto Competition. Ensemble participation and music scholarships are based on audition and are open to both music majors and non-majors.
A Lively Community of Learners
Learn from the best performers from all over the world as Truman frequently hosts guest performers and lecturers to provide professional recitals, clinics, and master classes.
Some past guest performers include:
- The Southeast Baroque Ensemble (Paul Thompson, Baroque Flutist and Professor of Flute at Southeast MO State University)
- Dr. Christine Beard (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska/Omaha)
- Roberto Maggio (Professor of Flute at the Conservatory of Music in Benevento, Italy)
- Dr. John Bailey (Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln)
- Dr. Kimberly Risinger (Professor of Flute at Illinois State University)
- Nicole Esposito (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Iowa)
Preparing for Lives That Matter
Graduates of the Truman Flute Studio have been accepted into prestigious graduate programs in performance, music education, instrument repair, and music therapy such as:
- Yale University
- Indiana University
- University of Kansas
- Arizona State University
- Northern IL University
- Minnesota Technical College
For more information on flute study at Truman, please contact Dr. Julianna Moore.
September 25, 2020
Dr. Hyejin Cho signed a contract for the Orpheus Classical label to record piano works of Robert Schumann. The album will be available in all the online platforms of digital distribution including Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Deezer, Rhapsody in May 2021. Also Dr. Cho is having an active performing schedule as a performing artist in […]
April 22, 2020
Congratulations to our students who are moving on to graduate school! Hannah Gallamore has been accepted into the PhD/Artist Certificate degree program at the University of Miami (FL) for this Fall. She has also been awarded a teaching assistantship. Christian Kuhluman, has been accepted into the MM Performance degree program at Colorado State University. He […]