Frequently Asked Questions About the Master of Arts in Education (MAE) Program

Currently the Education Program at Truman State University only offers a Master of Arts  in Education.
Internship experiences are available through approved Missouri School Districts, as well as a few approved districts in Kansas, Illinois and Iowa, as well as through the Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS).
Once candidates complete the MAE and receive their certification from the state of Missouri, they can work with the certification officer to begin the process of certification in another state.
Currently the MAE offers initial certification in the following areas:

  • Elementary Education 
  • Secondary
    • Biology
    • Unified Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Unified Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Unified Physics
    • English
    • Mathematics
    • Social Science
  • K-12
    • French
    • Spanish
    • Music
    • Special Education
    • Exercise Science
    • Exercise Science/Health
  • Add-Ons to Initial Certifications Include:
    • English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
    • Gifted
    • Reading Specialist
Typically candidates can complete the MAE in one summer plus another academic term depending on the number of courses taken in a semester. Our program is designed as a one-year (including summer) initial certification program.

Have more questions?

Contact us


My favorite aspect of Truman is the sense of community. I love knowing so many people around campus and having so many great opportunities that I might not have at a larger university.

Neva S., Creative Writing Major, Theatre Minor