Formal Complaints

The MAT program defers to campus-wide policies regarding all forms of complaints. See University policies in the University Student Handbook online or University’s Code of Conduct online regarding student conduct. See:

Formal Complaints Not Otherwise Addressed

Conflicts/complaints should be resolved at the point of origin, if possible. For complaints that cannot be resolved using one of the University policies listed above, the following procedure should be utilized. The individual initiating the complaint should submit a formal complaint, in writing, to the department chair as soon as possible following the incident. If the complaint is not resolved with the chair at the department level, the complaint should be submitted, in writing, to the dean of the School of Health Sciences and Education. Complaints not resolved with the dean at the school level should be submitted, in writing, to the Provost of the University.