As the semester winds down, our residents start to think more about their summer plans; jobs, vacations, fun in the sun, and time with family and friends are things we all look forward to! But don’t forget to plan for your departure from campus! Residents should start arranging transportation, storage for personal items, and coordinating with helpers to move out of their residence hall. Please remember the obligations you also have to leave your campus housing in good condition when you depart. This includes defrosting your Microfridge, cleaning your room, etc.
If there are any damages to the room since your move-in date, you may be charged for repair/replacement of the damage.
You need to check-out within 24 hours of your last final exam of the semester
- Residents still in the hall need to be focused on preparing for finals.
- If you have finished your finals, it is time to check-out.
Do you need to stay after 6:00 pm on Saturday? Register for a Late Departure.
There are some limited exceptions made to the 6:00 pm checkout, including:
- Graduating on Saturday.
- Participating or working to support graduation ceremonies on Saturday.
- Flights or other travel-related challenges to departing on Saturday.
If you need to check-out between 6:00-10:30 pm on Saturday or if you need to extend your stay and depart by 10:00 am on Sunday, please complete the LATE DEPARTURE REGISTRATION FORM opening on April 1
With some exceptions (listed on the form), there is a $25 charge to depart on Sunday if you register by May 7, 2023. There is a $50 late free for registering for a late departure after this deadline.
Saturday check-outs must be completed by 6:00 pm
- If you’re graduating or a part of the actual ceremony (band, junior marshal, etc.), you can check out late. Please sign up here.
- Check-outs happening after the halls have closed will result in an Improper Check-out fee starting at $50.00.
Meal Plans end on May 12, 2023 for Dinner at Missouri and Ryle.
May 13th Ryle will be open for Breakfast from 8:45 am-9:30 am and for lunch 11:00 am-1:00pm.
Update your mailing address with Amazon, magazines, banks, etc.
- Be sure you update your address with all your senders (magazines, Amazon, family, etc.) with ample time for mail to be delivered to your summer address, rather than campus.
- We will forward what mail we can. Please make sure your permanent address is updated in TruView by May 1st. (Use the “Verify Local Address Menu.” After verifying your current local address, you’ll be able to update your summer address.)
- Please note: not all packages and letters can be forwarded. Those items will be returned to sender.
#1 – Schedule a check-out time
- Each resident MUST schedule a check-out time.
- You must sign-up for a check-out at least 24 hours in advance.
- Sign-up sheets will be located outside your Student Advisor/Apartment Manager’s door.
#2 – Arrange the furniture in the room
- Each roommate’s furniture will need to be as it was when you moved in.
- Work with the Hall Desk to obtain nuts, bolts, or pins to loft your bed.
- Since most areas require beds to be lofted, keep in mind there are a limited number of wrenches available at the Hall Desk and plan ahead! If you are uncertain if your area requires your furniture to be lofted or not, be sure to contact the Residence Life staff of your area.
#3 – Defrost and clean your Microfridge unit
- Whether you brought your own or rented a Microfridge, unplug the unit at least 48 hours before your check-out. This will help any ice build up to melt.
- Let the ice melt on its own. Do not chip away the ice, as that could damage the Microfridge and result in damage charges.
- Wipe down all surfaces on the inside and outside of the fridge to make sure it is clean
- Dry the unit fully and prop open the doors using the cord so that nothing mildews.
- If you reside in an on-campus apartment, you do not need to unplug your refrigerator unit.
#4 – Thoroughly clean your room and shared space
- You are responsible for cleaning the entirety of your living space before checking-out.
- You will need to provide and use your own cleaning supplies
- Vacuum and/or wet mop the floors.
- Clean all surfaces in the room, including the furniture, window ledges, closet shelves, etc.
- Details about cleanliness expectations will be discussed at an upcoming house meeting.
- The final roommate to depart should complete the “Last Person Out” form. Discuss with your roommate(s) to make sure you have a plan.
#5 – Thoroughly clean your bathroom
- If you reside in an on-campus apartment or a room with a suited bathroom, you are responsible for making sure all bathroom surfaces are thoroughly cleaned. This includes the shower, toilet, sink, walls, etc.
- You will need to provide and use your own cleaning supplies.
- Sweep and wet mop the floor.
- Don’t forget to clear out and clean your medicine cabinet.
- Your bathroom must be cleaned by the time the first person is checking-out
- The final roommate to depart should complete the “Last Person Out” form. Discuss with your suitemate(s) to make sure you have a plan.
#6 – Remove all of your belongings
- You are not permitted to leave any items in the room. Be sure to take all your belongings when you depart.
- You will be charged a cleaning fee to remove any remaining items.
#7 – Return your key packet and key
- Students in residence halls must place their key in the key return envelope and slip under your Student Advisor’s door once you’ve moved out.
- Students in apartments, must place their key and key packet on their desk, and email your Apartment Manager once you’ve moved out.
It’s important that you plan ahead so that you can depart campus on time. Anyone staying past 6pm on Saturday, May 8th will be assessed a $50 improper checkout fee.
We wish you an easy check-out and a great summer! If you have questions about checking out, please talk with your Student Advisor.