Articulated Program Agreement Between Logan University and Truman State University
EXERCISE SCIENCE DEGREE
Based upon a mutual respect for the integrity of parallel academic programs and in an effort to better serve students intending to pursue the chiropractic profession, Logan University (Logan) and Truman State University (Truman) hereby enter into an agreement for an articulated program. This agreement will define coursework to be completed at Truman for a student intending to matriculate at Logan, special terms of admission to Logan 3+3 Articulation Agreement (3+3 program), and special criteria for the awarding of the baccalaureate degree to participating students.
Objectives of the Agreement:
- To attract qualified students to Truman and Logan.
- To facilitate the transition of students from Truman to Logan.
- To provide specific advisement for students of Truman who intend to pursue professional study at Logan.
- To encourage academic and administrative coordination between institutions and the exchange of evaluative information on the outcomes of the program with the goal of continual improvement.
- To provide qualified students the opportunity to complete the baccalaureate degree and the Doctor of Chiropractic Degree in one less year than the normal time, i.e. 7 years.
II. ARTICULATION AGREEMENT
- Under the provisions of this program, a 3+3 Program student will matriculate at Truman with a baccalaureate degree with a minimum of 94-95 credit hours in coursework at Truman and a minimum of 29 credit hours in coursework at Logan.
TRUMAN COURSEWORK ("PRE-CHIROPRACTIC PROGRAM") INCLUDES:
In the coursework listed below, two courses must be Writing Enhanced
General Studies 28-31 Credit Hours TRU 110: Self & Society 3 Credit Hours Qualitative Mode of INQ/Intercultural 9 Credit Hours Foreign Language 3-6 Credit Hours JINS/Intercultural 3 Credit Hours POL 101: Constitutional Government
OR HIST 298: American Institutional History
1 Credit Hour PSYC 166: General Psychology (Social Sci. Mode) 3 Credit Hours COMM 170: Public Speaking 3 Credit Hours ENG 190: Writing as Critical Thinking 3 Credit Hours Major Coursework 62 Credit Hours ES 190: Intro to Exercise Science 3 Credit Hours ES 202: Strength & Conditioning Anatomy 1 Credit Hour ES 224: W/E Research Methods & Data Interp. 3 Credit Hours ES 245: Nutrition in Health, Fitness, & Sport 3 Credit Hours ES 250: Exercise Science Practicum 1 Credit Hour ES 342: Biomechanics with Lab 4 Credit Hours ES 345: Exercise Physiology 3 Credit Hours ES 343: Movement Neuroscience
or ES 344: Lifespan Motor Development
or ES 347: Motor Learning
3 Credit Hours ES 445: Assessment and Prescription I 4 Credit Hours ES 498: Capstone in Exercise Science 3 Credit Hours MATH 156: College Algebra 3 Credit Hours MATH 157: Plane Trigonometry 2 Credit Hours STAT 190: Basic Statistics 3 Credit Hours BIOL 107: Intro Biology I 4 Credit Hours BIOL 108: Intro Biology II 4 Credit Hours CHEM 130: Chemical Principles I 4 Credit Hours CHEM 131: Chemical Principles II 4 Credit Hours PHYS 185: College Physics 4 Credit Hours CHEM 329: Organic Chemistry I 3 Credit Hours CHEM 331: Organic Chemistry II 3 Credit Hours TOTAL HOURS FROM TRUMAN 90-93 Credit Hours LOGAN COURSEWORK INCLUDES:
A minimum of 29 credit hours must be completed with a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.00 on a scale of 4.00.
BS01401 02 Anatomy I 5.5 Credit Hours BS01501 02 Biochemistry I 4 Credit Hours BS01502 Histology 3 Credit Hours BS01503 Cell Biology 2 Credit Hours BS02403 02 Anatomy II 5.5 Credit Hours BS02405 02 Neuroanatomy 5 Credit Hours BS02503 02 Biochemistry II 4 Credit Hours TOTAL HOURS FROM LOGAN** 29 Credit Hours *Credit Hour = Carnegie Definition of 50 minutes =1 credit hour
** For every subject required by Logan (either offered by Truman or Logan), no grade below a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will be accepted for credit in this articulated program. In addition, all 3+3 Program students must have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 for the 90 credit hours at Truman to be considered for admission.
- Students are admitted to Logan only as first year Doctor of Chiropractic students. Upon completion of the required coursework, 29 Logan credit hours may be transferred toward completion of the baccalaureate degree at Truman. In order to matriculate at Truman, an official transcript must be sent from Logan to a designated official within Truman, and the student must request and complete substitution forms and the application for graduation. Students who complete the necessary substitution forms and the application for graduation will NOT be required to take the senior test.
- While enrolled at Truman, students will complete all required coursework as outlined above and described in the Truman catalog.
- The acceptance of transfer credits or testing toward completion of degree requirements shall be governed by current policies of Truman.
- In order to be granted the Bachelor of Science with a comprehensive major in Exercise Science degree from Truman, students must have successfully completed a total of at least 120 credit hours.
- Logan shall accept, for the entrance date of its choice, all students who successfully complete the Pre-Chiropractic Program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and meet all other criteria for admission (including core competencies described in the Council on Chiropractic Education’s Doctor of Chiropractic Program Requirements for Institutional Standards).
- Students who earn less than a 3.0 GPA, but at least a 2.75 or higher, and satisfy core competencies described in the Council on Chiropractic Education’s Doctor of Chiropractic Program Requirements for Institutional Standards, may be eligible for admission to Logan at the discretion of the Vice President of Enrollment Management, and will receive appropriate consideration in the standard admission process for having completed the Truman Pre-Chiropractic Program. Such student will not receive the assurance of a seat reserved for students earning a 3.0 or higher GPA and will be assessed under an alternative admission track.
- Students will complete an application to Logan six months to a year in advance of their desired entrance date and will complete all required application procedures thereafter in a timely manner, including submission of a professional reference, a chiropractor’s letter of recommendation, and a satisfactory interview. Students applying to Logan’s doctorate program under a 3+3 Program Agreement will qualify for their application fee to be waived.
- Students enrolled in the 3+3 Program who successfully complete all required coursework at Logan with no grade below a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will be granted the baccalaureate degree from Truman, provided they have met all other Truman’s graduation requirements.
- Students shall pay the appropriate tuition and fees to each institution for all coursework taken at that institution. During their first year of study at Logan, students shall not be registered for courses at Truman, but shall pay any fees required to maintain their registration toward the baccalaureate degree. Upon completion of the assigned coursework within the first year of study at Logan, students shall be responsible for any fees regularly charged by Truman for transfer of credits and awarding the baccalaureate degree. Transcript requests made for Logan transcripts to be sent to the agreement school will have their transcript fee waived.
III. MUTUAL PROMOTION AND STUDENT ADVISEMENT OF THE PROGRAM
Logan and Truman agree to encourage qualified students to participate in this 3+3 Program through advisement and dissemination of information. The institutions agree to remain in contact with each other and apprise each other of any changes to the appointed advisor/faculty member assigned to oversee students attending under the 3+3 Program. The appointed advisor/faculty member for each institution will make every effort to:
- Maintain a list of students actively pursuing the program with the intent to enroll under the 3+3 Program and keep each other informed of those students through the use of the supplemental Application of Intent form.
- Maintain regular communication with Logan to update on any changes to the appointed representative’s contact information for the purpose of marketing on Logan’s website.
- Will provide Logan’s assigned representatives the opportunity for periodic visits for the purpose of meeting with students and for recruitment.
- Care will be taken by Truman to make students aware that some state boards of chiropractic require completed baccalaureate degrees, PRIOR TO CHIROPRACTIC STUDY, and to advise students planning to practice in those states accordingly.
- Both institutions agree to promote the 3+3 program in their recruitment activities; online and print marketing pieces; and to refer prospective students, when appropriate, to the other’s admission office.
IV. CONTINUATION AND TERMINATION OF THE AGREEMENT
This agreement shall be in effect until either institution makes a decision in writing to terminate it. It is agreed that if terminated, that both institutions will honor the teens of the agreement until all students already admitted are given the opportunity to complete the program in a timely manner.