School of Arts and Letters: Music Department
The Music Department at Truman State University is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (since 1948) and offers an outstanding performance and academic background in the field of music, the opportunity to study private applied music with well-known artists/teachers, and the opportunity to participate in instrumental and choral ensembles with national reputations for excellence.
The Music Department will:
- attract a promising and diverse group of high achieving musician scholars who will become part of an academically rigorous arts community;
- provide challenging, comprehensive music instruction that will cultivate a depth of musical scholarship, pedagogy, and creative work within the breadth of a liberal arts context;
- enhance the culture of the university and surrounding communities;
- provide graduates with qualifications and experience to succeed professionally or in graduate study;
- cultivate a nationally recognized community of students, faculty, and alumni.
For More Information
August 9, 2019
Congratulations to Donald Rabin for receiving 3rd Prize in the 5th Edition of the ENKOR International Music Competition! He is a senior flute performance major at Truman State University studying under Dr. Julianna Moore, with additional instruction from Mark Sparks and Jennifer Nitchman of the Saint Louis Symphony. In addition to flute, he enjoys his […]
April 9, 2019
Two of Truman’s music students recently won prizes in the Instrumental Division of the Southern Illinois Young Artist Competition. Jichen Zhang (graduate saxophonist) placed first, and Donald Rabin (senior flutist) tied for second place. The competition was open to instrumental students ages 20 to 30, and the other competitors came from from Indiana University, the […]