The 400-acre University Farm at Truman State University is located on the edge of Kirksville, Mo., about a mile from campus. Activities at the farm range from classwork, to research, to recreation.The University Farm features:
- Classroom/lab, equine and cattle facilities
- 40-head riding/breeding horse herd
- Indoor and outdoor riding arenas
- A herd of Gelbvieh beef cattle
- Two greenhouses, an orchard, vineyards, and garden plots
- Agronomy research plots and crops
- Beautiful, rolling grassland and woodland areas
- Horse boarding available by contract
The open spaces at the University Farm are perfect for the University Observatory which provides a great viewing location for physics research and a place for events sponsored by student organizations such as the Stargazers Club.
Food scraps are collected from locations around campus and transported to the University Farm where they are turned into nutrient-rich soil amendments.