Visiting Student Admission Requirements for International Students
The following documents are required to complete your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent to the Admissions Committee. You will then be notified of the admission decision. Please allow up to four weeks for a decision to be made. We reserve the right to request certification of any documents.
You will receive an email confirmation when we receive any of the following required documents:
1. One Page Essay — This essay must be an original work on behalf of the applicant. Please choose ONE of the following essay topics:
- Choose a phrase, expression, or saying in your native language. What does it mean? How is it important to you or your culture?
- If you could establish your own college or university, what would be the values and priorities of your institution and why? What topic of study would you make mandatory for all students and why?
- What one invention would you un-invent if you could and why? Describe how life would be better without this invention.
- What has been your greatest learning experience outside of the traditional classroom, and how did that experience influence you? Provide a specific example and reason.
2. English Proficiency Test Score
A minimum score on one of the following English proficiency exams is required for admission:
- TOEFL (550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 Internet-based)
- IELTS (minimum 6.0)
- SAT (minimum 1050; combined critical reading and math)
- ACT (minimum 22)
- IGCSE/GCE either English Lit or English Lang: Minimum of B
- CSEC(CXC) or CAPE: English score of 1 or 2
- IB (HL or SL): English A: Minimum score of 5
- U.S. University transfer credit: grade of “A” grade in English Composition I or a grade of “B” in English Composition II
- ESL at Truman: Completion of Level 9 with recommendation from The Language Company
- STEP EIKEN: Minimum of Pre-1
- MELAB: 79
- iTEP (3.8 minimum)
- West African Examinations Council, Examination Type WASSCE: C6 or above in English Language
Please note: If you do not meet our English proficiency requirements, you can still apply for conditional admission.
3. Original or Certified Copies of Transcripts from High School (and any college or university you have attended)
- Submit official documents from all previous educational pursuits. This includes high schools, secondary schools, and universities. (Please note: original copies of transcripts cannot be returned to you. We strongly suggest sending certified copies instead.)
4. Certificate of Financial Support
- Download the Certificate of Financial Support PDF file.
- To see an example of a completed form, click the image below.
- Certificates must show at least $27,934/year.
Please note: Exchange students have to show proof of $7,000 if they intend to study at Truman for a semester, or $14,000 if they intend to study at Truman for a year.
5. Original or Certified Copies of Bank Documents Indicating Sufficient Financial Support
- Unless you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are required to submit satisfactory evidence of funds necessary to meet the expenses involved in your proposed program of study.
- Bank balance must show an equivalent of at least $27,934.
- Appropriate bank documents will include the following: bank statement issued within the past 6 months and a letter stating the current balance in the account along with the date the account was opened. The bank documents must be in the name of your sponsor.
6. Copy of Passport biographical information page
Documents can be mailed to:
Center for International Students
Truman State University
Baldwin Hall 104
100 East Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
Please call or email us with any questions or concerns:
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
Phone Number: (660) 785-4215