I Need Help – Where Do I Go?

If you have experienced a gender-based offense that may present an immediate physical risk or present the opportunity to gather physical evidence, we suggest that you seek immediate medical attention. Medical providers can offer options to address pregnancy and STD concerns as well as preserve  evidence that can be stored until you decide if you want to move forward with a complaint.  Medical services are confidential.  Policies regarding sharing of information will be explained to you at the time of treatment.  Medical services with special ability to provide medical assistance after a gender-based offense include the Student Health Center and the Emergency Room at Kirksville Regional Medical Center.  This website has additional information regarding the preservation of evidence and what you can expect from a medical exam following a gender-based offense.

If you aren’t sure that what you have experienced is gender-based misconduct, several see the definitions webpage or contact the Institutional Compliance Office at (660) 785-4031 located in McClain Hall 101.   If you need help coping with the aftermath of a gender-based offense or in determining if you would like to file a complaint, there are sources of support available to you.

If you believe or have been notified that you have or will be accused of a gender-based offense, it is important that you preserve evidence.  The University Non-Discrimination Complaint Reporting and Resolution Procedure defines discrimination offenses and provides a description of what constitutes consent.  This information will help you to understand the type of evidence you may want to preserve and witnesses who be able to help you in making your case.   The Institutional Compliance Officer will process the resolution of gender based offenses. If you believe that you may be accused of criminal activity, you might want to consider consulting with a lawyer.  You may have an advisor to support you in the resolution process.  A lawyer may serve as a advisor but must abide by the restrictions described in the Non-Discrimination Complaint Reporting and Resolution Procedure.

If a complaint is filed for action through University policy, you will be notified by the Institutional Compliance Officer.   The process will be explained to you and you will be informed of your rights and what will be required of you in the process.  You must understand that retaliation is prohibited and you may be asked to have no contact personally, through another party, or via any kind of electronic medium with the complainant.

Going through the process of resolving a gender-based conduct complaint, can be very stressful.  You are encouraged to seek support.  The University Counseling Services is available to any student.  You may be able to receive these services free of charge.  If you are interested in a counseling fee waiver, please talk to the Institutional Compliance Officer.

It is very important to talk to others about  gender-based offenses when you are able to do so.  The support of others facilitates recovery.  Your friends and family may be available to you.  University Counseling Services are available to all students.  In determining who to share information with regarding a gender-based violation, remember that the individual may be a witness during a resolution process.  You may want keep a record regarding to whom you spoke and what was discussed.  Remember that most University employees may be required to report gender based offenses to their superiors.  Counselors at University Counseling Services and at Victim’s Support Services are confidential.  They are not required to report gender-based misconduct to the Institutional Compliance Officer.

The efforts of all members of our community is important in stopping gender-based misconduct. There are many ways that you can provide support such as volunteering with the Women’s Resource Center, promoting consent education through your student organizations, and confronting victim blaming behaviors.
Find more resources about helping fight gender-based misconduct».