August 25 – September 29
These exhibitions are open to Truman students, faculty, and staff only.
Annual Juried Student Exhibition – in the main gallery
Guest juror: Barry Anderson
To start the year, we’re bringing back the exhibitions that were scheduled to open in March. Come view some of the best recent Truman student artwork, juried in Spring 2020 by Barry Anderson, Professor of Art at the University of Missouri, Kansas City.
The Janus Restraint – Barry Anderson – in the cube
New media artist Barry Anderson’s project The Janus Restraint, which he has been exhibiting and developing since 2012, explores the connections between adolescent identity and the natural world. Each installation of The Janus Restraint involves a different selection of objects and videos that provide a unique view of the project.
Beneath White Tents – in the Charlyn Gallery
Beneath White Tents explores the late nineteenth and early twentieth century history of the circus through a group of objects selected and researched by Truman State University students from Pickler Memorial Library Special Collections. A digital version of this exhibition is also available here.
Virtual opening reception Tuesday, August 25, 5:00 p.m. Register here or at gallery.arttruman.com to receive the event link by email a few days before the event. This virtual reception is open to the public.
The following safety precautions are in place for the University Art Gallery to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 at Truman this fall.
- August 25-September 29 the University Art Gallery will open to the campus community only (students, faculty, and staff). We apologize to the public for this inconvenience and hope to open to the public in October if it is safe to do so.
- Student, faculty, and staff visitors to the Gallery are required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth and maintain a six-foot distance from visitors not in their household.
- No more than 12 visitors (not including the desk attendant) will be allowed in the gallery at a time.
- Any faculty member who would like to meet with their classes in the gallery should email the University Art Gallery Director Dr. Heidi Cook at email@example.com to set up a reservation to ensure that the gallery can be reserved solely for them at that time and that there is enough space for the number of students visiting. (Class size may exceed 12 as long as social distancing is maintained.)
- If at any time in-person classes are suspended at Truman, the University Art Gallery will also close.
Although this plan permits limited numbers of visitors to be able to enter the space of the University Art Gallery, at this time all receptions, talks, and special events will be virtual. Visit gallery.arttruman.com for additional information.
Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday 8:30am – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday Noon – 4:30 p.m.