The wellness wheel is comprised of 7 elements – physical, social, occupational, intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and environmental. Each element effects your wellbeing. When you perceive that each element is balanced you’re at optimal wellbeing.
Physical Wellness: Your perception and expectation of physical health, which includes physical activity/exercise, nutrition, preventive care, getting regular check-ups, drinking alcohol responsibly, and avoiding tobacco and illicit drugs.
- Physical Activity: Physical Activity Guidelines
- Physical Activity: Reducing sedentary behavior
- Physical Activity: Kirksville Bike Co-op at Truman
- Physical Activity: Campus walking routes
- Physical Activity: Intramural sports at Truman
- Physical Activity: Group exercise classes at Truman
- Physical Activity: Personal Training at Truman
- Physical Activity: Weight room orientations at Truman
- Physical Activity: The weight room also provides wheelchair accessible strength training equipment. The Magnum M103 Advantage Trainer meets the requirements of the American Disabilities Act for Equal Program Access.
- Physical Activity: Outdoor adventure in Kirksville!
- Physical Activity: Learn proper rowing technique and the muscles that rowing targets; get the workout of the day and other great tips!
- Nutrition: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition: Choose My Plate
- Nutrition: My Fitness Pal, a free calorie counter
- Nutrition: Portion sizes compared to everyday things
- Nutrition: Portion distortion
- Student Health Center at Truman
- Tobacco Policy, Programs and Resources at Truman
- Recommended regular check-ups for adults
- Preventive health services for adults
- Preventive health services for women
- Drink Smart
- American Sexual Health Association
- Healthy People
- Mayo Clinic
Social Wellness: Your perception of having support from family, friends, co-workers, faculty, and staff in times of need and providing valued support to others.
- Student organizations at Truman
- Greek life at Truman
- How to meet new people
- How to build and maintain essential relationships
- How to become an active listener
- Kirksville Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kirksville community calendar
Occupational Wellness: Your outlook on your career.
- Truman’s Career Center calendar, internship opportunities, and upcoming events
- Choosing a major
- Tips for occupational wellness
- Occupational wellness assessment
Intellectual Wellness: The perception of being internally energized by an optimal amount of intellectually stimulating activity.
- Intellectual wellness assessment
- Brain teasers
- Word games
- Discovery channel
- This day in history presented by the History channel
Emotional Wellness: Being emotionally well is more than just handling stress. It also involves being attentive to your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, whether positive or negative. Emotional Wellness implies the ability to be aware of and accept our feelings, rather than deny them, have an optimistic approach to life, and enjoy life despite its occasional disappointments and frustrations.
- University Counseling Services at Truman
- Wellness Zone inside Pickler Memorial Library
- 10 tips for emotional wellness
- 10 relaxation techniques
- How exercise reduces stress
- Forms of exercise to manage stress
- 8 minutes to calm, a guided relaxation
Spiritual Wellness: Your perception of meaning and purpose in life. Includes your values, religious and spiritual practice if desired, being open to different religions and cultures, volunteering, and taking time to personally reflect.
- Religious organizations at Truman
- Service organizations at Truman
- Multicultural student organizations at Truman, external links, and campus offices
- Programs sponsored by Multicultural Affairs
Environmental Wellness: The perception of the environment that you work and live in. It includes being aware of the earth’s natural resources and their respective limits, living a life accountable to the environmental needs, and realizing the effects of our daily habits on the world around us.
- Trash and recycling programs in Kirksville
- Truman students bring glass recycling back to Kirksville
- Tips on saving money and energy
**If there is information that you are unable to locate or would like to learn more about, please email at Comments/Suggestions.