Discover the Hidden Patterns of the World Around You
School of Science and Mathematics: Department of Statistics
Be engaged by a challenging curriculum, with the support of faculty and peers who bring experience from a variety of disciplines.
Whether you pursue theory or practice, learn the skills and ways of thinking that graduate schools and employers value.
Bring order out of chaos. Get prepared for a life that matters.
- Degrees offered: BA & BS
- Major offered: Statistics Major (Concentration options: Data Science, Theoretical, Applied)
- Minors offered: Statistics Minors, Statistical Methods Minor, Actuarial Science Minor
- Approximate number of students pursuing one of these minors: 144
- Number of majors represented in the statistics minor: 12
- Number of full-time faculty in Statistics: 9
- Departmental student organizations: Society of Actuaries at Truman State University, Mathematical Association of America, Kappa Mu Epsilon
Develop statistical reasoning and computation skills.
- Data Science: Use Technology to Analyze Big Data
Understand fundamental ideas of information and data science.
Explore interdisciplinary connections to real-world applications.
- Theoretical: Understand Theory Behind Statistics
Prepare for graduate school.
Learn the logic of statistics with foundations in mathematics.
- Applied: Solve Problems in Data-driven Areas
Understand how data analysis solves real-world problems in applied areas.
Complement study in a wide range of other disciplines (e.g., Psychology, Biology, or Business).
Make your major better by adding a minor!
- Statistics Minor
Improve mathematical problem-solving abilities.
- Statistical Methods Minor
Enhance data analysis skills.
- Actuarial Science Minor
Prepare for a career in risk assessment.
Explore Outside the Classroom
- Truman offers intense summer research with direct faculty mentoring. Statistics students have pursued research with Truman faculty in fields such as Mathematical Biology, Economics, Psychology, Exercise Science, and others.
- Center for Applied Statistics and Evaluation (CASE): One of the few consulting centers in the nation staffed by undergraduates — work with clients on real problems in a consulting program.
- Society of Actuaries at Truman: Belong to an actuarial organization.
- Meet students interested in the profession.
- Learn about requirements.
- Prepare for professional exams.
- Connect with prominent actuarial firms
- Internships: Gain real world experience.
After the Degree
Pursuing a major in Statistics prepares you for graduate school as well as a range of careers in areas such as:
- Actuarial Science
- Banking and Finance
- Consumer Marketing
- Data Science
- Ecology & Environment
- Environmental Sciences
- Medical Research
- Medicine & Health
- Politics & Government
- Scientific Research
- Teaching…and many more!