Pursue Your Passion
As a flute student at Truman, you'll receive individual attention in a positive and supportive learning environment. Our members are dedicated to achieving excellence as performers, music educators, and scholars. You'll take weekly private lessons, performance and pedagogy classes, chamber music instruction and coaching, and ongoing academic and career advising.
You can explore a wide range of performing experiences - including two wind symphonies, concert band, marching band, flute quartet, mixed chamber ensembles, and the annual Gold Medal Concerto Competition. Ensemble participation and music scholarships are based on audition and are open to both music majors and non-majors.
A Lively Community of Learners
Learn from the best performers from all over the world as Truman frequently hosts guest performers and lecturers to provide professional recitals, clinics, and masterclasses.
Some past guest performers include:
- The Southeast Baroque Ensemble (Paul Thompson, Baroque Flutist and Professor of Flute at Southest MO State University)
- Dr. Christine Beard (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska/Omaha)
- Roberto Maggio (Professor of Flute at the Conservatory of Music in Benevento, Italy)
- Dr. John Bailey (Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln)
- Dr. Kimberly Risinger (Professor of Flute at Illinois State University)
- Nicole Esposito (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Iowa)
Preparing for Lives That Matter
Graduates of the Truman Flute Studio have been accepted into prestigious graduate programs in performance, music education, instrument repair, and music therapy such as:
- Yale University
- Indiana University
- University of Kansas
- Arizona State University
- Northern IL University
- Minnesota Technical College
For more information on flute study at Truman, please contact Dr. Julianna Moore.
20 January 2016 | 10:57 pm
Thomas Trimborn, professor emeritus of music, will be inducted into the Missouri Music Educators Association Hall of Fame later this month in recognition of his lasting impact on the stature of music education in the state of Missouri and beyond. Trimborn earned undergraduate and master’s degrees in music education and conducting from the University of […]
11 January 2016 | 6:24 pm
Truman voice majors Monica King, Katie Ewalt and Cady Thomas participated in the National Association of Teachers of Singing regional auditions Nov. 12-14 at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Ill. Ewalt advanced to the semi-final round, and Thomas won first place in the Sophomore Women’s Division. King is a student of Dr. Tom Hueber, and […]