Pursue Your Passion
As a flute student at Truman, you'll receive individual attention in a positive and supportive learning environment. Our members are dedicated to achieving excellence as performers, music educators, and scholars. You'll take weekly private lessons, performance and pedagogy classes, chamber music instruction and coaching, and ongoing academic and career advising.
You can explore a wide range of performing experiences - including two wind symphonies, concert band, marching band, flute quartet, mixed chamber ensembles, and the annual Gold Medal Concerto Competition. Ensemble participation and music scholarships are based on audition and are open to both music majors and non-majors.
A Lively Community of Learners
Learn from the best performers from all over the world as Truman frequently hosts guest performers and lecturers to provide professional recitals, clinics, and masterclasses.
Some past guest performers include:
- The Southeast Baroque Ensemble (Paul Thompson, Baroque Flutist and Professor of Flute at Southest MO State University)
- Dr. Christine Beard (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska/Omaha)
- Roberto Maggio (Professor of Flute at the Conservatory of Music in Benevento, Italy)
- Dr. John Bailey (Professor of Flute at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln)
- Dr. Kimberly Risinger (Professor of Flute at Illinois State University)
- Nicole Esposito (Associate Professor of Flute at the University of Iowa)
Preparing for Lives That Matter
Graduates of the Truman Flute Studio have been accepted into prestigious graduate programs in performance, music education, instrument repair, and music therapy such as:
- Yale University
- Indiana University
- University of Kansas
- Arizona State University
- Northern IL University
- Minnesota Technical College
For more information on flute study at Truman, please contact Dr. Julianna Moore.
17 August 2015 | 4:43 pm
Dr. Jesse Krebs, Associate Professor of Music, has been invited to perform a guest recital and give a clarinet master class at the Royal Irish Academy of Music in Dublin, Ireland on Tuesday, October 13, 2015. He will be performing a program of American clarinet music, including the Clarinet Sonata by Daniel Gregory Mason, Theme […]
17 August 2015 | 4:36 pm
Congratulations to the Truman Clarinet Choir for being selected to perform at the Missouri Music Educators Association 78th Annual In-Service Workshop/Conference! They are one of only two small collegiate ensembles invited to perform from throughout the state, and their concert will take place at the Tan-Tar-A Resort in Osage Beach, MO on Thursday, January 28th […]