Download Quick Facts (PDF)
Degrees Offered: BS & MA
Major Offered: Accounting
Approx. number of students pursuing this major: 325
Learn and exhibit leadership skills, gain valuable experience in your chosen profession, and interact with students of similar interests.
- Beta Alpha Psi: Interested in accounting, finance, or information systems? Get recognized for outstanding achievement through Beta Alpha Psi. Build a sense of ethical, social, and public responsibility within yourself. Students may first seek membership when enrolled in ACCT 221 Introduction to Management Accounting.
- National Association of Black Accountants (NABA): Receive support and help bridge the opportunity gap for minority student success in accounting and related business fields.
- Truman’s School of Business is one of only 180 business programs nationwide to hold accreditation in both business and accounting by AACSB International, the “gold standard” of business accreditation worldwide.
- Truman’s master’s students are consistently in the top 5% in the country for first time pass rate on the CPA exam.
- 7 full time faculty and 2 part time faculty
- 100% of faculty have a doctoral degree/JD degrees or professional certification
- All have significant professional experiences
- Active in professional business organizations
- Collaborate with students on undergraduate research projects
- 67% of students have an internship or career-related work experience
- “Meet the Firms” and Career Week events bring employers to campus to recruit accounting students
- Employers from national, St. Louis, and Kansas City firms actively recruit Truman accounting students
- Options include international business schools in France, Germany, Spain, and Hungary
- Truman grants you access to over 500 study abroad opportunities in more than 60 countries
- Monetary assistance is available, including Truman State University Foundation Scholarships
- Cultural loans are available for all programs
After the Degree
Employers: Graduates are highly recruited by nearly 250 different organizations nationwide, including top public accounting firms in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas. The top jobs for accounting majors include: public accountants, accountants with organizations, management analysts, banking and finance, executive-level positions, along with many more career opportunities.
Truman graduates have recently landed jobs with:
- Department of Defense
- Federal Reserve Banks (St. Louis, Kansas City, & Chicago)
Graduate and Professional Schools
Around 60% of Truman’s accounting majors further their studies in graduate or professional school. Recent graduates have pursued a Master of Accountancy at Truman, as well as other notable schools that include:
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law
- George Washington University
- Harvard University
- London School of Economics
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Northern Illinois University
- Stanford University
- St. Louis University
- Texas Tech University
- Ohio State University
- University of Arkansas
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois
- University of Kansas
- University of Michigan
- University of Missouri
- University of Notre Dame
- University of North Texas
- Washington University in St. Louis