School of Business: Department of Accounting
Excel in Your Accounting Career
Find yourself in great company as you pursue your goals. Learn about financial accounting and business systems, cost accounting, auditing and taxation. Along the way, develop advanced skills for leadership, oral and written communication, teamwork and critical thinking — qualities highly valued by employers.
Take advantage of numerous professional development opportunities, from visiting speakers to the peer mentor program. Join Beta Alpha Psi to take part in the Volunteer Income Tax assistance program and help community members file their tax returns. Work closely with a faculty member on a research project. Discover limitless options for getting involved within the School of Business.
While completing your Bachelor of Science in Accounting prepares you for a variety of roles in corporate, government, and non-profit accounting, many students decide to continue their education and apply for Truman’s Master of Accountancy program to meet the educational requirements to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam.
Gain the skills you need. Be prepared for a life that matters.
- Degrees Offered: BS & MA
- Major Offered: Accounting
- Approx. number of students pursuing this major: 343
- Faculty members: 8 full-time; 2 part-time; 100% have a terminal degree in the field
- Majors who do an internship or career-related experience: 72%
- Departmental Student Organizations: Beta Alpha Psi and National Association of Black Accountants
Learn and exhibit leadership skills, gain valuable experience in your chosen profession, and interact with students of similar interests.
- Beta Alpha Psi: Interested in accounting, finance, or information systems? Get recognized for outstanding achievement through Beta Alpha Psi. Build a sense of ethical, social, and public responsibility within yourself. Students may first seek membership when enrolled in ACCT 221 Introduction to Management Accounting.
- National Association of Black Accountants (NABA): Receive support and help bridge the opportunity gap for minority student success in accounting and related business fields.
Recent Awards & Accolades
- Truman’s School of Business is one of only 180 business programs nationwide to hold accreditation in both business and accounting by AACSB International, the “gold standard” of business accreditation worldwide.
- Truman’s Master’s students are consistently in the top 5% in the country for first-time pass rate on the CPA exam.
- 8 full-time faculty and 2 part-time faculty
- 100% of faculty have a doctoral degrees, JD degree or professional certification
- All have significant professional experiences
- Active in professional business organizations
- Collaborate with students on undergraduate research projects
- 72% of students have an internship or career-related work experience
- “Meet the Firms” and Career Week events bring employers to campus to recruit accounting students
- Employers from national, St. Louis, and Kansas City firms actively recruit Truman accounting students
- Options include international business schools in France, Germany, Spain, and Hungary
- Truman grants you access to over 500 study abroad opportunities in more than 60 countries
- Monetary assistance is available, including Truman State University Foundation Scholarships
- Cultural loans are available for all programs
After the Degree
Employers: Graduates are highly recruited by nearly 250 different organizations nationwide, including top public accounting firms in the St. Louis and Kansas City areas. The top jobs for accounting majors include: public accountants, industry accountants, management analysts, banking and finance, executive-level positions, along with many more career opportunities.
Truman graduates have recently landed jobs with:
- Boeing Company
- Department of Defense
- Emerson Electric
- Federal Reserve Bank
- Williams Keepers
Graduate and Professional Schools: Around 54% of Truman’s accounting majors further their studies in graduate or professional school. Recent graduates have pursued a Master of Accountancy at Truman, as well as other notable schools that include:
- Cleveland Marshall College of Law
- George Washington University
- Harvard University
- London School of Economics
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Northern Illinois University
- Ohio State University
- Stanford University
- St. Louis University
- Texas Tech University
- University of Arkansas
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois
- University of Kansas
- University of Michigan
- University of Missouri
- University of North Texas
- University of Notre Dame
- Washington University in St. Louis