Master of Arts in Education: Specialty Area Requirements
Secondary Social Science
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in history or a social science discipline (history degree preferred, or at least a range of history coursework if the degree is in another discipline).
- Strongly prefer a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all coursework taken at Truman.
- Require a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major.
- Require that at least one of the three letters of reference in the application be from a professor in the student’s major who can speak to the candidate’s ability to succeed in graduate level history courses. Other letters should reflect specifically on either the candidate’s academic strengths or the candidate’s potential to provide a positive influence on young people in a classroom setting.
- Evidence (as displayed in the personal statement, letters of reference, and the candidate’s experiences) of the ability to work effectively with high school students.
- Candidates must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition for teaching.
I love the size of Truman. It is small enough that you see people you know everywhere you go, but it is big enough that there are always new people to meet.