MAE: Secondary Social Science
value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest 2015)
Master of Arts in Education: Specialty Area Requirements
Secondary Social Science
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in history or a social science discipline (history degree preferred, or at least a range of history coursework if the degree is in another discipline).
- Strongly prefer a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in all coursework taken at Truman.
- Require a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major.
- Require that at least one of the three letters of reference in the application be from a professor in the student’s major who can speak to the candidate’s ability to succeed in graduate level history courses. Other letters should reflect specifically on either the candidate’s academic strengths or the candidate’s potential to provide a positive influence on young people in a classroom setting.
- Prefer GRE scores above the 50th percentile, particularly in the Verbal and Analytic Writing categories. In some cases, lower GRE scores may be offset by a high GPA in the major and overall.
- Evidence (as displayed in the personal statement, letters of reference, and the candidate’s experiences) of the ability to work effectively with high school students.
- Candidates must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition for teaching.
"The atmosphere at Truman is warm. People here are friendly and are willing to help you whenever you need it. Also, there are plenty of organizations available to help international students to make new friends, understand new cultures, and enjoy life in America."
– Anh Duc M., Mathematics & Economics, Vietnam