MAE: Secondary Mathematics
value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest)
Master of Arts in Education: Specialty Area Requirements
- A candidate must have or be completing an undergraduate degree in mathematics equivalent to the mathematics major requirements at Truman.
- A candidate’s certification GPA (all mathematics, statistics, and computer science courses included) must be at least a 2.75 with at least a 3.0 GPA preferred.
- A candidate’s quantitative GRE score must be at or above the 50th percentile with scores above the 70th percentile desired.
- Candidates must have earned a C or better in MATH 363 College Geometry (or its equivalent) and have passed either MATH 455 History of Mathematics I or MATH 456 History of Mathematics II (or the equivalent.)
- Candidates must have significant, pre-professional teaching experiences including some of the following: tutoring, grading, substitute teaching, attending professional conferences, and/or working with adolescents in summer programs.
- Candidates seeking to complete a full-year internship should have most of the above experiences.
- A candidate’s letters of recommendation must address the candidate’s potential to succeed in graduate-level mathematics classes as well as qualities related to teaching.
- A candidate’s personal statement should include a discussion of the required experiences.
- Candidates must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition for teaching and may be interviewed.
"Truman State University prides itself in both its academic reputation as well as its affordable accessibility. These qualities are what drove me to Truman. I knew that I would receive a top-quality liberal arts education without plummeting far into student debt."
– Joe M., Mathematics & Physics Double Major