Mission of the Master of Athletic Training Program
It is the mission of the Truman State University professional-level Master of Athletic Training program to develop critical thinking athletic training professionals, who are able to meet the diverse demands of the profession. The program strives to produce educated professionals who give back to the profession.
It is the goal of the MAT program to prepare the athletic training students for the Board of Certification exam through progressive clinical experiences. It is the goal of the MAT program to provide the athletic training students with the skills necessary to perform the duties of a certified athletic trainer.
Objectives of the Program
- To prepare students for the Board of Certification Exam.
- To provide students, through a program of progressive clinical experiences, the skills necessary to perform the duties of a certified athletic trainer.
- To furnish students with the clinical and academic skills to work in the variety of venues employing certified athletic trainers.
- To prepare students who are proficient in all content areas designated by the National Athletic Trainers Association competencies. The candidate performs the clinical proficiencies designated by the National Athletic Trainers Association competencies essential to athletic training at a professional level.
- To continue to determine the effectiveness of athletic training course content and clinical experiences.
- The candidate understands the subject matter & creates learning experiences that make these aspects of subject matter meaningful to students.
- To ensure that all program graduates meet the rigorous requirements for obtaining eligibility for the Board of Certification exam.
- To provide academic and clinical experiences, in accordance with program accreditation standards, that prepare graduates to provide comprehensive athletic training program services.
- To model and promote ethical principles and procedures in the conduct of clinical practice, academic achievement, and research.
- To model and promote professional values which include a respect for diversity and the importance of lifelong learning.