About the Music Department
School of Arts and Letters: Music Department
The Music Department at Truman State University is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (since 1948) and offers an outstanding performance and academic background in the field of music, the opportunity to study private applied music with well-known artists/teachers, and the opportunity to participate in instrumental and choral ensembles with national reputations for excellence.
The Music Department will:
- attract a promising and diverse group of high achieving musician scholars who will become part of an academically rigorous arts community;
- provide challenging, comprehensive music instruction that will cultivate a depth of musical scholarship, pedagogy, and creative work within the breadth of a liberal arts context;
- enhance the culture of the university and surrounding communities;
- provide graduates with qualifications and experience to succeed professionally or in graduate study;
- cultivate a nationally recognized community of students, faculty, and alumni.
For More Information
20 March 2017 | 5:03 pm
The Saint Louis Brass will conclude this year’s abbreviated Kohlenberg Lyceum Series with a performance at 7:30 p.m. April 3 in the Ophelia Parrish Performance Hall. Founded in 1964, the Saint Louis Brass is one of America’s longest-standing brass quintets. Although the Saint Louis Brass may look formal when they appear on stage, audiences are […]
20 March 2017 | 5:01 pm
The Department of Music will perform Engelbert Humperdinck’s opera “Hänsel and Gretel” March 23-26 in the Ophelia Parrish Performance Hall. Shows will begin at 8 p.m. March 23-25. A special matinee will be offered at 3 p.m. March 26. Tickets are available at the door and are $3 for students, $5 for general admission. “Hänsel […]