About the Music Department
School of Arts and Letters: Music Department
The Music Department at Truman State University is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (since 1948) and offers an outstanding performance and academic background in the field of music, the opportunity to study private applied music with well-known artists/teachers, and the opportunity to participate in instrumental and choral ensembles with national reputations for excellence.
The Music Department will:
- attract a promising and diverse group of high achieving musician scholars who will become part of an academically rigorous arts community;
- provide challenging, comprehensive music instruction that will cultivate a depth of musical scholarship, pedagogy, and creative work within the breadth of a liberal arts context;
- enhance the culture of the university and surrounding communities;
- provide graduates with qualifications and experience to succeed professionally or in graduate study;
- cultivate a nationally recognized community of students, faculty, and alumni.
For More Information
13 February 2017 | 6:03 pm
The 49th Phi Mu Alpha Jazz Festival will take place on February 25, 2017 in the Student Union Building Georgian Room. The festival will begin at 9 a.m. with various performances and sessions throughout the day, culminating in the Jazz Festival Evening Concert at 8 p.m. Since Truman’s chapter was founded in 1968, it has […]
6 February 2017 | 7:30 pm
The 34th annual Truman Piano Festival will take place Feb. 17-18 in the Ophelia Parrish Performance Hall. This year’s featured guest artist is Dr. Josh Pifer. At 7:30 p.m. Feb. 17, he will perform a solo recital that features works by Scarlatti, Justin Aftab, Tcherepnin and Corigliano. At 9:30 a.m. Feb. 18, he will conduct […]