About the Music Department
School of Arts and Letters: Music Department
The Music Department at Truman State University is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (since 1948) and offers an outstanding performance and academic background in the field of music, the opportunity to study private applied music with well-known artists/teachers, and the opportunity to participate in instrumental and choral ensembles with national reputations for excellence.
The Music Department will:
- attract a promising and diverse group of high achieving musician scholars who will become part of an academically rigorous arts community;
- provide challenging, comprehensive music instruction that will cultivate a depth of musical scholarship, pedagogy, and creative work within the breadth of a liberal arts context;
- enhance the culture of the university and surrounding communities;
- provide graduates with qualifications and experience to succeed professionally or in graduate study;
- cultivate a nationally recognized community of students, faculty, and alumni.
For More Information
4 April 2016 | 5:39 pm
Carlo Aonzo, one of the world’s most-acclaimed classical mandolinists, will perform Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” with the Truman chamber orchestra at 4 p.m. April 9 in the Ophelia Parrish Performance Hall. Aonzo is a principal proponent of the classical mandolin. He graduated with honors from the conservatory in Padua, Italy, where he studied with mandolin legend […]
15 February 2016 | 6:17 pm
This year’s Truman Piano Festival will take place February 19-20, 2016 in Ophelia Parrish Performance Hall, featuring guest artist Lisa Yui. At 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 19, she will perform a solo recital that features Schumann’s Fantasy in C Major, Op. 17, followed by Liszt’s Sonata in B Minor. The following morning at 9:30 a.m., […]