value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest)
Requirements for the Honors Degree in Biology
1. The student must declare her/his intent to complete the requirements listed below no later than the semester prior to the semester in which they plan to graduate. A brief form is available from the Biology Departmental Chair or your academic advisor. This form must be filled out and given to the Biology Department Chair by the above deadline.
2. The student must either be graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or greater or score at the 75th percentile or greater on the MFAT.
3. The student must design and conduct an original research project in consultation with a Truman Biology faculty member. If the research is conducted off of the Truman campus (e.g., at A.T. Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine or a summer program) then the consulting Truman Biology faculty member must be involved from the outset. The student wishing to count this type of research for Honors must have discussed this with the advisor before beginning the research.
4. The student must complete a written manuscript that is of publishable quality and in journal style.
a. The manuscript will be evaluated by a three person committee that includes the student’s research mentor. At least two members of the committee shall be Truman Biology faculty members.
b. The complete manuscript should be delivered to the committee members at least one week prior to the student’s seminar (see #5 below).
c. The manuscript will include a cover sheet on which each committee member must sign-off indicating their approval.
d. A copy of the signature-approved manuscript should be delivered to the Biology Department Chair no later than the first day of Final Exam Week during the semester in which the student will be graduated. The Department Chair will notify the Office of the Registrar so that appropriate recognition will be conferred.
5. The student must present an 18-20 minute seminar on the research at a regular Biology departmental weekly seminar.
a. The student’s research mentor should notify the Chair of the Biology Seminar Committee at least one semester prior to the presentation date.