Visiting Student Admission Requirements for
After all of the following documents have been received, you will be sent an e-mail informing you that your admission file is complete. Your application will then be sent to the Admissions Committee to determine acceptance. This process may take up to four weeks. Accepted students will be notified and mailed their acceptance packets You will receive an e-mail confirmation when we receive any of the following required documents:
1. One Page Essay — This essay must be an original work on behalf of the applicant. Please choose ONE of the following essay topics:
- Choose a phrase, expression, or saying in your native language. What does it mean? How is it important to you or your culture?
- Discuss an issue of local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
- Describe how technology has changed a specific aspect of your culture.
2. English Proficiency Test Score
A minimum score on only one of the following English proficiency exams is required for admission:
- TOEFL (550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 Internet-based)
- IELTS (minimum 6.0)
- SAT (minimum 1050; combined critical reading and math)
- ACT (minimum 22)
- IGCSE/GCE either English Lit or English Lang: Minimum of B
- CSEC(CXC) or CAPE: English score of 1 or 2
- IB (HL or SL): English A: Minimum score of 5
- US University transfer credit: A in Comp I, or B or higher in Comp I and Comp II
- ESL at Truman: Completion of Level 9 with recommendation from The Language Company
- STEP EIKEN: Minimum of Pre-1
- iTEP (5.0 minimum)
Please note: If you do not meet our English proficiency requirements, you can still apply for conditional admission.
3. Original or Certified Copies of Transcripts from High School (and any college or university you have attended)
- Transcripts should list each subject studied with all grades, marks, or other verification that each individual course was completed. (Please note: original copies of transcripts cannot be returned to you. We strongly suggest sending certified copies instead.)
- Official copies of graduation diplomas should also be provided.
4. Certificate of Financial Support
- Download the PDF file here.
- To see an example of a completed form, click the image below.
- Certificates must show at least $25,000/year.
Please note: Exchange students have to show proof of $5,500 if they intend to study at Truman for a semester, or $11,000 if they intend to study at Truman for a year.
5. Original or Certified Copies of Bank Documents Indicating Sufficient Financial Support
- Unless you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are required to submit satisfactory evidence of funds necessary to meet the expenses involved in your proposed program of study. Your application will not be considered until you show proof of sufficient funds.
- Bank balance must show an equivalent of at least $25,000.
- Truman State University may require further certification of finances or advance payment of tuition and fees from students whose funds originate in countries where severe currency resitrictions exist.
Please note: Original copies of bank documents cannot be returned to you. We strongly suggest sending certified copies instead.
6. Copy of Passport biographical information page
- This can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or included with other documents that are sent in the mail.
Documents can be mailed to:
International Student Affairs Office
Truman State University
Baldwin Hall 129
100 East Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
Please call or email us with any questions or concerns!
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
Phone Number: (660) 785-4215