value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest)
Graduate Student Admission Requirements for
The graduate programs of study offered to international applicants who have not earned an undergraduate degree from Truman State University are Master of Accountancy, Communication Disorders, Biology, English, Leadership, and Music. Please note that Counseling, and Education (MAE) are only offered to students who have earned their bachelor’s degree from Truman State University.
The following documents are required to complete your application. Once your application is complete, it will be sent to the Admissions Committee. You will then be notified of the admission decision. Please allow up to four weeks for a decision to be made. We reserve the right to request certification of any documents. You will receive an e-mail confirmation when we receive any of the following required documents:
1. English Proficiency Test Score A minimum score on one of the following English proficiency exams is required for admission:
- TOEFL (550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 79 Internet-based)
- IELTS (minimum 6.0)
- SAT (minimum 1050; combined critical reading and math)
- ACT (minimum 22)
- IGCSE/GCE either English Lit or English Lang: Minimum of B
- CSEC(CXC) or CAPE: English score of 1 or 2
- IB (HL or SL): English A: Minimum score of 5
- U.S. University transfer credit: grade of “A” grade in English Composition I or a grade of “B” in English Composition II
- ESL at Truman: Completion of Level 9 with recommendation from The Language Company
- STEP EIKEN: Minimum of Pre-1
- MELAB: 79
- iTEP (3.8 minimum)
- West African Examinations Council, Examination Type WASSCE: C6 or above in English Language
Please note: If you do not meet our English proficiency requirements, you can still apply for conditional admission.
2. Original or Certified Copies of Transcripts from all High School and Universities/Colleges you have attended
- Submit official documents from all previous educational pursuits. This includes high schools, secondary schools, and universities. (Please note: original copies of transcripts cannot be returned to you. We strongly suggest sending certified copies instead.)
- Official copies of graduation diplomas should also be provided.
3. Certificate of Financial Support
- Download the PDF file here.
- To see an example of a completed form, click the image below.
- Certificates must show at least $27,754/year.
Please note: Exchange students have to show proof of $7,000 if they intend to study at Truman for a semester, or $14,000 if they intend to study at Truman for a year.
4. Original or Certified Copies of Bank Documents Indicating Sufficient Financial Support
- Unless you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are required to submit satisfactory evidence of funds necessary to meet the expenses involved in your proposed program of study.
- Bank balance must show an equivalent of at least $27,754.
- Appropriate bank documents will include the following: bank statement issued within the past 6 months and a letter stating the current balance in the account along with the date the account was opened. The bank documents must be in the name of your sponsor.
5. Copy of Passport biographical information page
6. Additional Required Documents for Graduate Students
- Three original letters of recommendation
- GRE General Test (Biology, Communication Disorders, English, Leadership, and Music programs) or GMAT scores (Accounting program)
- Personal Statement
Documents can be mailed to:
Truman State University
Grim Hall 300
100 East Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
Please call or email us with any questions or concerns!
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00
AM to 5:00 PM CST
Phone Number: (660) 785-4215
"I found it very relaxing to get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city and get the chance to enjoy all of the aspects of a smaller town. This town is a wonderful place to enhance your college experience."
– Bethany Williams (’13), Communication Major