value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest 2015)
Costs & Scholarships for Visiting Students
The estimated costs for the 2015-2016 academic year:
*Denotes the estimate of expenses on the Form I-20.
Scholarships for International Students
President's Honorary Scholarship
Truman State University recognizes outstanding academic performance and extracurricular involvement by offering a significant scholarship program for international students. Scholarships can be awarded for up to 50% of tuition or more. Students are automatically considered for this scholarship when they apply. No separate application necessary. The scholarships are renewable for up to 8 semesters (4 years) by maintaining a 3.25 Truman grade point average. Students participate in 4 hours of service per week to the university when scholarships are renewed for full value.
International Baccalaureate Scholarship
Truman State University recognizes the challenging IB curriculum. Students who complete the IB Diploma will be awarded a $2000 scholarship per academic year for up to 4 years (8 semesters). Conditions of renewal are the same as the President’s Honorary Scholarship noted above.
Understanding the Costs
- Tuition and Non-Resident Fees: International students must pay for each semester's tuition, activities fee, housing and insurance the first week of the semester. Learn more about available methods of payment here. For more information about Payment Plans, consult the Business Office Webpage.
- Scholarships: University scholarships will be automatically applied to your student account within 5 days of the first day of classes.
- On Campus Housing and Meals: All freshmen under 21 years of age are required to live on campus. Those who begin in August must live on campus for two semesters. Those who begin in January must live on campus for one semester. Transfer students and graduate students may choose to live on- or off campus. They are encouraged to live on campus to make friends and become accustomed to American college life. For more information, visit the Residence Life Webpage.
- Housing Damage Deposit: Students that choose to live on campus have to make a one-time payment in their first semester. A portion of the deposit may be refunded when students leave on-campus housing.
- TB Testing: International students are required to take a tuberculosis test upon arrival at Truman’s Student Health Center. This is a one-time charge for all students. Testing is MANDATORY.
- Orientation: The Orientation Fee is a one-time charge for all first semester students. Attendance at Orientation is MANDATORY.
- Health Insurance: International students are required to purchase health insurance for every semester of attendance at the University. The charge will be applied to your student account each semester. For more details please click here.
- Activities Fee: Covers university-wide activities, organizations, and events (also subsidizes entrance fees).
- Athletic Fee: Covers student use of the Recreation Center, involvement in intramural sports tournaments, and attendance of student athletic events.
- Information Technology Fee: Covers on-campus Information Technology services that provide personal electronic device assistance. It also covers University Wi-Fi systems.
- Health Services: Funds student health center/on-campus medical office available for check-ups and appointments.
- International Student Fee: Covers services specific to international students—student support systems, immigration/admission services, etc.
- Textbooks: The cost of books is estimated at $500 per semester; however, this varies with each student's course of study. Students may purchase their books from either one of the two textbook stores near campus: The University Bookstore and Discount Textbooks.
"Truman has a beautiful campus. When I first came here, I don’t know the school, the people and the country at all. But I like the orientation and the cultural leaders. They helped me a lot and made me know more about the new environment and adapt it quickly."
– Liyu Cui, China