Costs & Scholarships for Visiting Students
The estimated costs for the 2017-2018 academic year:
|Total Visiting Student Estimated Cost Per Academic Year|
|2017-20187 Academic Year||$27,577*|
|Personal expenses, travel, and parking are not included. Estimates assume full-time enrollment as required by U.S. immigration law. All tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.|
Breakdown of Expenses
|Visiting Tuition & Non-Resident Fees|
|Tuition and non-resident fees are a flat rate for undergraduate students enrolled in 12 to 17 credit hours per semester. Special course fees will be assessed ($5 to $120) for courses in business, health science, education, art, music, theater, and the sciences.|
|On Campus Housing & Meals|
|The housing fee includes the room, meal plan, high-speed internet, utilities, cable, and trash/recycling. This estimate uses the cheapest available housing option and meal plan. For more information, visit reslife.truman.edu.|
|Additional Fees Include:|
|Housing Damage Deposit|
|Mandatory TB Testing|
|Information Technology Fee|
|International Student Fee|
|Total Additional Costs||$3,800|
*Denotes the estimate of expenses on the Form I-20.
Scholarships for International Students
- President’s Honorary Scholarship: Truman State University recognizes outstanding academic performance and extracurricular involvement by offering a significant scholarship program for international students. Scholarships can be awarded for up to 50% of tuition or more. Students are automatically considered for this scholarship when they apply. No separate application necessary. The scholarships are renewable for up to 8 semesters (4 years) by maintaining a 3.25 Truman grade point average. Students participate in 4 hours of service per week to the university when scholarships are renewed for full value.
- International Baccalaureate Scholarship: Truman State University recognizes the challenging IB curriculum. Students who complete the IB Diploma will be awarded a $2000 scholarship per academic year for up to 4 years (8 semesters). Conditions of renewal are the same as the President’s Honorary Scholarship noted above.
- CAPE Scholarship: The Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Exam is designed to provide certification to students in the Caribbean who wish to further their studies (after completing a minimum of five years of secondary education). Truman State University recognizes the challenging nature of CAPE by offering transfer of credit to students that receive I-IV on some exams. Students that have completed six or more units with a score of I, II, or III automatically receive a $2,000 CAPE Scholarship.
- A-Level Examination Scholarship: Truman recognizes the challenging A-Level curriculum by offering transfer of credit for the successful completion of many A-Level examinations. The amount of transfer credit awarded will depend on the score received. Students must achieve a grade of C or higher to receive transfer credit for qualified A-Levels. In order to receive transfer credit, an original grade report must be sent from the A-Level Board Examination Board directly to Truman State University. International students achieving a grade of B or higher on a minimum of three A-Level examinations will automatically receive a $2000 A-Level Scholarship at Truman.
Understanding the Costs
- Tuition and Non-Resident Fees: International students must pay for each semester’s tuition, activities fee, housing and insurance the first week of the semester. Learn more about available methods of payment here. For more information about Payment Plans, consult the Business Office Webpage.
- Scholarships: University scholarships will be automatically applied to your student account within 5 days of the first day of classes.
- On Campus Housing and Meals: All freshmen under 21 years of age are required to live on campus. Those who begin in August must live on campus for two semesters. Those who begin in January must live on campus for one semester. Transfer students and graduate students may choose to live on- or off campus. They are encouraged to live on campus to make friends and become accustomed to American college life. For more information, visit the Residence Life Webpage.
- Housing Damage Deposit: Students that choose to live on campus have to make a one-time payment in their first semester. A portion of the deposit may be refunded when students leave on-campus housing.
- TB Testing: International students are required to take a tuberculosis test upon arrival at Truman’s Student Health Center. This is a one-time charge for all students. Testing is MANDATORY.
- Orientation: The Orientation Fee is a one-time charge for all first semester students. Attendance at Orientation is MANDATORY.
- Health Insurance: International students are required to purchase health insurance for every semester of attendance at the University. The charge will be applied to your student account each semester. For more details please click here.
- Activities Fee: Covers university-wide activities, organizations, and events (also subsidizes entrance fees).
- Athletic Fee: Covers student use of the Recreation Center, involvement in intramural sports tournaments, and attendance of student athletic events.
- Information Technology Fee: Covers on-campus Information Technology services that provide personal electronic device assistance. It also covers University Wi-Fi systems.
- Health Services: Funds student health center/on-campus medical office available for check-ups and appointments.
- International Student Fee: Covers services specific to international students—student support systems, immigration/admission services, etc.
- Textbooks: The cost of books is estimated at $550 per semester; however, this varies with each student’s course of study. Students may purchase their books from either one of the two textbook stores near campus: The University Bookstore and Discount Textbooks.
Truman has a beautiful campus. When I first came here, I don’t know the school, the people and the country at all. But I like the orientation and the cultural leaders. They helped me a lot and made me know more about the new environment and adapt it quickly.