Rankings & Recognition
value in the nation among public colleges & universities (Consumers Digest 2015)
National Rankings and Recognition of Academic Quality and Affordability
National rankings consistently praise Truman's lively learning community. And the message is loud and clear—Truman has earned a reputation for offering a top-ranked education and an outstanding economic value. As a result, Truman is consistently ranked among the nation's best colleges and universities. And you don't have to take our word for it. Here's what others are saying about Truman State University.
One of the Best Universities in the Midwest
- No. 1 Public University in the Midwest region for 19 years running. Also recognized for:
- Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching
- Great Schools, Great Prices
- Most Innovative Schools
- A-Plus Schools for B Students
- Best Colleges for Veterans
—U.S. News & World Report’s "America's Best Colleges" (2016)
- One of the nation's best institutions for undergraduate education.
—Princeton Review's "Best 380 Colleges" (2016)
- Named the best "hidden gem" college in the state of Missouri.
—College Raptor (2015)
One of the Nation's Best Values for High-Quality Academics
- No. 1 on the list of best values for public colleges and universities.
—Consumers Digest (June 2015)
- Named among "Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Schools That Give You the Best Bang for Your Tuition Buck"
—Princeton Review (2016)
- No. 15 on list of "100 Best Public College Values" in the nation. Truman is the highest-rated Missouri school on the list and was the only university in the state included in the top 50. Truman is also ranked 5th in the nation for best out-of-state value.
—Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine (2016)
- One of 20 public colleges profiled as a "Best Buy" school that is noted for its quality academic offerings and affordable cost. Truman is the only Missouri public school included on the list.
—Fiske Guide to Colleges (2016)
- No. 40 on the list of best public colleges in America based on 19 indicators of academic excellence, affordability and diversity.
—The Business Journals (2015)
- "A nationally recognized leader in curriculum innovation and one of the best education values in the nation.”
—Barron’s Best Buys in College Education (11th edition)
- One of the best colleges in Missouri for the money.
—College Factual published by USA Today (2015)
Smart School, Smart Students
- Named among the smartest schools in the country.
—Business Insider (2015)
A College of Distinction
- Recognized for commitment to engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community, and successful student outcomes. A College of Distinction is:
- Nationally recognized by education professionals as an excellent school.
- Strongly focused on teaching undergraduates.
- Home to a wide variety of innovative learning experiences.
- An active campus with many opportunities for personal development.
- Highly valued by graduate schools and employers for its outstanding preparation.
— www.collegesofdistinction.com (2015-2016)
Ranked Among the Top Master's Universities
- No. 2 among master's universities.
—Washington Monthly (2015)
Preparing Students to Make a Difference
- Recognized as a top producer of U.S. Fulbright students for the 2015-2016 academic year.
—Chronicle of Higher Education
- Named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
—Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, presented by the President of the United States (2014)
Talented and Smart Athletes
- Truman has been a national leader in producing Academic All-Americans with 110 since the program's inception in the 1950s.
—College Sports Information Directors of America, www.cosida.com
- Truman has the highest NCAA student-athlete academic success rate among all public schools in Missouri and the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
—Data provided by NCAA
"The liberal arts and sciences have taught me not what to think, but how to think. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to sit and think and talk through complex ideas with the leaders in their respective fields. This university has prepared me, not for a specific career with one skill set, but the tools to succeed in an ever increasingly diverse and complex society."
– Caroline Hamera, Communication Major/Spanish Minor