National rankings consistently praise Truman State University, and the message is loud and clear—Truman has a longstanding reputation for providing an exceptionally high-quality education paired with an outstanding economic value. As a result, Truman is consistently ranked among the nation’s best colleges and universities. And you don’t have to take our word for it. Here’s what others are saying about Truman State University.
One of the Best Universities in the Midwest
- No. 1 Public University in the Midwest region for 20 years running. Tied for the No. 8 spot overall in the Midwest region among both private and public institutions that provide a full range of undergraduate and master’s programs. Truman received high praise in several areas including “A Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching,” “Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects,” “A-Plus Schools for B Students” and “Best Colleges for Veterans.” More»
U.S. News & World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” (2017)
- Named among “The Best 381 Colleges.” More»
Princeton Review Guidebook (2017)
- The best “hidden gem” college in the state of Missouri. More»
College Raptor (2016)
- No. 49 on list of best public colleges in the U.S. More»
Business First/The Business Journals (2016)
One of the Nation’s Best Values for High-Quality Academics
- No. 1 on list of best values for public colleges and universities. More»
Consumers Digest (June 2015)
- Named among “Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Schools That Give You the Best Bang for Your Tuition Buck.” More»
Princeton Review (2016)
- No. 3 public school and No. 9 overall in the Midwest region for “Best Bang for the Buck.” More»
Washington Monthly (2016)
- Truman is the highest rated Missouri public school included on the list of “Top 300 Best College Values of 2017.” Truman also ranked No. 5 overall for out-of-state students. More»
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine (2017)
- One of 20 public colleges profiled as a “Best Buy” school noted for its quality academic offerings and affordable cost. More»
Fiske Guide to Colleges (2018)
- “A nationally recognized leader in curriculum innovation and one of the best education values in the nation.”
Barron’s Best Buys in College Education (11th edition)
- One of the top 10 most affordable public universities for in-state students; Truman is the only Missouri school to make the top 10. More»
- One of the best colleges in Missouri for the money. More»
College Factual published by USA Today (2017)
Smart School, Smart Students
- Named among the smartest schools in the country.
Business Insider (2015)
- Out of 822 schools in the Carnegie classifications of Master’s/Comprehensive I, Master’s/Comprehensive II, Baccalaureate/Liberal Arts I, Baccalaureate/Liberal Arts II, Truman State University graduates earned the largest number of chemistry Ph.D. degrees between 2003-2012.
National Science Foundation CASPAR database relating to origins of Ph.D. graduates in Chemistry/Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education (2016)
A College of Distinction
- Recognized for commitment to engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community, and successful student outcomes. A College of Distinction is:
- Nationally recognized by education professionals as an excellent school.
- Strongly focused on teaching undergraduates.
- Home to a wide variety of innovative learning experiences.
- An active campus with many opportunities for personal development.
- Highly valued by graduate schools and employers for its outstanding preparation.
Top Master’s University
- Recognized as the No. 1 master’s university in the nation; Truman was the only Missouri school to be included in the entire top 100.
Washington Monthly (2016)
Preparing Students to Make a Difference
- Recognized as a top producer of U.S. Fulbright students for the 2015-2016 academic year.
Chronicle of Higher Education
- Named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.
Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, presented by the President of the United States (2014)
Talented and Smart Athletes
- More than half of all Truman student-athletes were named Academic All-Great Lakes Valley Conference, an honor is bestowed upon student-athletes who meet a cumulative grade-point average of 3.30 over at least two semesters. In addition to the 228 Bulldogs named all-Academic, a total of 20 student-athletes have maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA.
Great Lakes Valley Conference (2016)
- Truman has been a national leader in producing Academic All-Americans with 110 since the program’s inception in the 1950s.
College Sports Information Directors of America, www.cosida.com
The liberal arts and sciences have taught me not what to think, but how to think. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to sit and think and talk through complex ideas with the leaders in their respective fields. This university has prepared me, not for a specific career with one skill set, but the tools to succeed in an ever increasingly diverse and complex society.