National Rankings and Recognition of Quality
National recognition and rankings consistently praise Truman's lively learning community. And the message is loud and clear—Truman has earned a reputation for offering a top-ranked education and an outstanding economic value. As a result, Truman is consistently ranked among the nation's best colleges and universities. And you don't have to take our word for it. Here's what others are saying about Truman State University.
One of the Best Universities in the Midwest
- Ranked for 18 consecutive years as the No. 1 Public University in the Midwest region. Also recognized as No. 1 for "Strong Commitment to Teaching" and No. 5 on the list of "Great Schools, Great Prices." Truman's reputation for research was also recognized in the "Focus on Student Success" section in the category for "Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects." — U.S. News & World Report’s "America's Best Colleges," 2015
One of the Nation's Best Values for High-Quality Academics
- Ranked No. 19 on Kiplinger's list of the 100 Best Public College Values in the nation. The report features schools that combine outstanding academics with affordable costs. Truman is the highest-rated Missouri school on the list and was the only university in the state to be included in the top 50. Truman is also ranked 12th in the nation for best out-of-state value and is highlighted as one of the 25 Best College Values in the Midwest."— Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine, 2015
- Truman "offers a private school education at a public price," and its "comprehensive financial aid programs can be used to make sure that students are able to focus on their studies."—"Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Best Value Colleges and What It Takes to Get In," published by the Princeton Review, 2015
- Truman ranked No. 40 on the list of best public colleges in America based on 19 indicators of academic excellence, affordability and diversity.—The Business Journals, 2015
- "A nationally recognized leader in curriculum innovation and one of the best education values in the nation.” — Barron’s Best Buys in College Education, 11th Edition
- Truman was named as one of "The 20 Public Colleges with the Smartest Students." — Business Insider, 2014
A College of Distinction
- Truman was recognized as a College of Distinction for its commitment to engaged students, great teaching, vibrant community, and successful student outcomes. A College of Distinction is...
- Nationally recognized by education professionals as an excellent school.
- Strongly focused on teaching undergraduates.
- Home to a wide variety of innovative learning experiences.
- An active campus with many opportunities for personal development.
- Highly valued by graduate schools and employers for its outstanding preparation.
— www.collegesofdistinction.com, 2014-15
A Top Public University
- "Truman has more in common with private institutions than with nondescript regional publics...Truman offers a winning combination of challenging academics and a close-knit community." — Fiske Guide to Colleges, 2014
- "Truman State University in Kirksville, Mo., a newcomer to the top 10 public universities, boasted the lowest tuition for out-of-state students." — USA Today, Jan. 28, 2014
Ranked Among the Top Master's Universities
- Ranked No. 2 among master's universities. Truman is the No. 1 public university and the only Missouri school on the entire top 100 master's universities list — Washington Monthly, 2014 College Rankings
Preparing Students to Make a Difference
- Ranked 19th on the Peace Corps' list of the top volunteer-producing mid-sized colleges and universities across the country. — Peace Corps Volunteer Rankings (2015)
Demonstrated Excellence on Accounting Exam
- Truman’s accounting students ranked in the top 20 in the nation for six of the past eight years for students passing all four parts of the Uniform CPA examination on the first attempt. — Data from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy
Talented and Smart Athletes
- Truman has produced the highest number of academic All-Americans in Division II athletics in the history of the program. — ESPN the magazine
- Truman has the highest NCAA student-athlete academic success rate among all public schools in Missouri and the Great Lakes Valley Conference. — Data provided by NCAA